Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Inconnu

Woolly Cray

I know this is not a finesse pattern, but I wanted something quick, easy and representative to tie. I have used suede in stonefly patterns before so I thought I would use it here. I am going to post more step by step pictures in a few days. I'm also going to try a few substitutes for the claws, but for now it is as it is. :)

awesome fly man! is that just a prototype or is that the one yer gonna put in the smallie swap??? i got a buddy (hes registered on here...goes by the name panfisherteen) who ties a wooly craw, but his uses separated clumps of marabou for the claws. i like your version!

I actually thought about using marabou, but I have this huge box of suede and I know that there are other patterns with 'bou so I went for something a little different. It is pretty much as it will be in the swap, though I may adjust the body bulk a little. :)

cool. how did you get so much suede? i like to use suede,,,,,but i dont have any :unsure: lol!!! it comes in handy!

I like it. Nice and simple!

I wonder if it'd look more craw-like if you took a sissors and snipped off the top hackling. Maybe ran a coat of Sally Hanson's over it.

But then it wouldn't be so woolly, I guess, and the name wouldn't fit!!

I have used suede in stonefly patterns before so I thought I would use it here. I am going to post more step by step pictures in a few days. I'm also going to try a few substitutes for the claws, but for now it is as it is. :)

i really like the idea of suede. I use marabou for my full motion craws but i think that achieves the same effect. apparently when craws are indistress or approached by a bigger one then put their claws up and swim backwards and i think that for sure will happen with your design.

Nice i can dig it

IPB Image

adding to what madkasel said, you should trim the hackle and then make a shell back of suede too! and rib it w/ some copper wire.

yea,my woolly crayfish is basically a wooly bugger but it was two tails instead of one that mimic pincers.Id show it,but my camera is bad for takin pics of flies,and also i dont want to enter the little contest because i aint interested in winning flies.they look good,but i wouldnt have a use for them