Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smokinprice

Looking for a pattern

Does anyone have a pattern for a BH AP Nymph? Or know where I could get one? Even a book would help. Caught a number of rainbows and browns on it this week but I gave some to a fishing pattern who lost them all. Thanks in advance.

Jeff,

Check here for image and dressing of the most common variation, the AP Black.

Easy and cheap to tie. Here's some thoughts for you...

1. (Optional) Wrap thorax region with lead after mounting bead on hook.

2. The same clump of moose hair will make the tail, the wingcase, and the legs. Stack enough moose to make a proper wingcase. Don't worry that the tail will initially seem too thick.

3. Measure for tail length and secure moose hair with tight wraps for the length of the abdomen, approx 60% of the shank length. (If you did step 1, you automatically have a stopping point.)

4. Using a bodkin or the tips of your scissors, seperate approx half of the tail and trim at base. Reduce the tail thickness until you are satisfied.

5. Secure rib, dub abdomen, and wrap rib as usual. Tie off and trim rib wire.

6. Pull the moose back as you build a pronounced thorax. When complete, bring moose hair forward to form a wingcase. Bind hair securely behind bead. Do not trim moose butts yet.

7. Seperate three hairs on each side to form legs. Make a couple thread wraps to hold their position. Trim remaining butts from wingcase.

8. Apply a very small amount of dubbing to dub over the trimmed hair butts. Whip finish.

9. Trim legs on each side. I hold them against the thorax and trim them to even at the abdomen/thorax joint.

Fun fly to tie. Since this is a style rather than a pattern, you can change up the materials to suit your wants.

Eric

Jeff, I found a recipe for a regular A P Nymph in my books. The Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying By: Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer has the pattern on page 132A .

I did a google search and found the sites below . Again not a beadhead, but just put a bead on before you start to tie!

http://www.westfly.com/patterns/wet/apnymph.shtml

http://www.americanflyfishing.com/retail/c...;store%5Fid=212