Fly Tying
jmkratt

Float Tube Repair Question

Hey everyone!

So I was cleaning my garage and basement from my parent's house and taking various items I had left there from when I lived there before graduating college - 3 years ago, I finally made it over. Anyway, I found my old Caddis Float Tube (regular float tube, not a U-boat) that I used to use all the time. The float tube is old, I probably purchased it 10 years ago or so and it hasn't been used in 5 years I would say. Anyway, I pumped it up to see how it was doing and I could hear air escaping from the rubber bladder. The "tube" is a large rubber tube and has visible wear marks on the seam. I was able to locate at least 2 holes in the tube. So my question is this: Is it worth repairing? And if so, how would I do it? I would hate to lug it up to the lakes this summer only to have to swim out! I have done some research as to trying to find a replacement bladder but have not had much luck. Has anyone had to do anything like this to their tubes? I also looked at new tubes and was amazed and how inexpensive they have become! Any suggestions or input would be appreciated! Thanks

Hey John. I own several Caddis float tubes. I really had good luck dealing with Caddis when I needed parts if you could locate them. They have a web site: http://www.caddissports.com/ It was kind of hard for awhile. IMO the doughnut shaped tubes aren't really worth the hassle of trying to get them fixed because any more they are pretty inexpensive. Give them a shout if you want to get a new bladder, I think they are still available. I've had them replace valves and and a small bladder for the back rest on the U tube at no charge. :headbang: Howard

By the way, just thinking how much faith would you would put into a bladder that has been repaired when your out in the middle of Lake Whatever...I don't think I would repair. Replace or buy a new tube. http://www.thefloattubestore.com/

Excellent, I emailed them about the problem. Thanks for the help! I have searched for a website for them, thank you very much for providing it.

On a similar note, do you still purchase/use Caddis tubes? In my search for a repair for mine I ran across quite a few people who were dissatisfied with them (their tubes specifically). I don't know of other companies, as I have always used Caddis tubes.

Thanks again.

I have received two emails back from online shops. Looks like the cheapest replacement tube runs $40 with $15 shipping - I can get a brand new tube for not much more than that!

I appreciate your help, guys :headbang:

Excellent, I emailed them about the problem. Thanks for the help! I have searched for a website for them, thank you very much for providing it.

On a similar note, do you still purchase/use Caddis tubes? In my search for a repair for mine I ran across quite a few people who were dissatisfied with them (their tubes specifically). I don't know of other companies, as I have always used Caddis tubes.

Thanks again.

John I quit using my two Caddis tubes about two years ago. I saw a Trout Unlimited Togiak and wanted it. They run between $139 and $169 last I looked. They are built well, keep you off the water, have a solid seat and are packable. I think they are perhaps a little short on storage, but not bad. There is a similar, I think, the Outcast Fishcat that gets rave reviews from users. Similar in design with big fat pontoons.

Can the bladder be replaced with a tube from a truck tire??

Thats what came with an old caddis hi n dri I used to have

Can the bladder be replaced with a tube from a truck tire??

Thats what came with an old caddis hi n dri I used to have

Flytire, I don't know the answer to that question. There are a couple of floatube web sites that have forums. I would suggest asking that question there. If the size was right, I don't know why that wouldn't work for ya.

I took my tube to two different tire/truck repair places this weekend, both said they hadn't seen a tube that would match my size. They said the tube I had was not a tube that could be replaced with a standard truck tire tube and to contact Caddis - which I have done. Thanks for the help though, you guys!

Also, when you guys say get a new tube - you just mean obtain a replacement rubber tube, right? Not purchase a whole new float tube....right? I shouldn't be worried about replacing the rubber tubing should I?

No water moccasins here, though when I lived in TX I used to see them out fishing all the time.

I was thinking of getting one this summer, but with water moccasins in the waters here, I think I'll pass.

No, no water moccasins, but lots of jet skiers. :wallbash:

Jmkratt: Didn't realize you were so close by. Actually I was talking about getting a whole new floattube, but that's just me. I don't need a reason to buy new/more equipment. :yahoo: I never had a doughnut, my body shape wasn't cut out to fit in the hole! I like the escapability of a U tube.

Jmkratt: Didn't realize you were so close by. Actually I was talking about getting a whole new floattube, but that's just me. I don't need a reason to buy new/more equipment. :yahoo: I never had a doughnut, my body shape wasn't cut out to fit in the hole! I like the escapability of a U tube.

Cutthroat, yeah I am here in Castle Rock - how about yourself?

I also don't need much encouragement to get a new floattube, though I am sure my wife would tell you differently. I was looking into a U tube, myself. Thanks for the clarification!

Hey John, I'm in Superior between Broomfield and Boulder. In case you didn't know, a bunch of us on the board from Colorado are going to meet in July on the Arkansas. You are more than welcome to join in. Follow the link for more information.

http://www.talkflyfishing.com/index.php?showtopic=14608

Howard

Hey John, I'm in Superior between Broomfield and Boulder. In case you didn't know, a bunch of us on the board from Colorado are going to meet in July on the Arkansas. You are more than welcome to join in. Follow the link for more information.

http://www.talkflyfishing.com/index.php?showtopic=14608

Howard

Howard, thanks for the invite - I will check it out. I know I have several weddings in July but it'd be nice to fish the Arkansas with you guys!

I know where Superior is, my younger sister lives right off 36 in Broomfield.

Thanks for your help, too.

EDIT: Howard, I appreciate the invite, however I do in fact have my wife's uncle's wedding the 14th which is right in the middle of your trip. Thanks again though - have fun and good luck!