Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Michael Smith

Parachutes flopping over

Tried using some parachutes I had tied this past Saturday. They would land and flop over so they would drift on their side. Obviously something is not right. Too heavy of a wing post? What could cause a parachute to flop over like that? Any ideas to help improve my future parachutes?

Thanks,

Mike

Most likely ethier not enough wraps of hackle around the post or too small of hackle (or both). Got a pic of one of the problem flies and we can tell you for sure.

Steve

Maybe not enought hackle around the chute or the chute could be too large or too long. Pictures would help a lot.

Mike- that's a problem with a lot of parachute flies. First, always use a hackle sized for one hook larger. If the fly's body is well treated with floatant, it will float on, not deeply in, the surface film. Thus, the fly will tend to tip, and larger hackle will stabilize it. Second, split the tails fairly wide. Should work fine.

Chuck

Thanks for the replies. No pics, but I'm suspecting the hackle is probably too small and too sparse. The tails were not split very wide either. I only treated the wing post with floatant as I wanted the body to sink through the film and ride just under it.

Mike

Mike - Sounds like you are well on your way with some good advice. I use poly yarn for many of my parachute posts, particularly in smaller sizes. I treat the yarn with a little Watershed and let dry overnight. This helps keep the post from becoming water-logged. Seems to help when tying a relatively short post.

As noted in earlier replies, the plus-one size hackle is the way to go.