Fly Tying
sulfernut

Tipping a Guide??

Greetings all!!! I have a trip booked for this coming fall in Montauk NY.for Stripers,Albies,etc. Having never been on a "guided" trip before,I am unclear on what is customary to tip the guide...??? Are there any guidelines for this?

Sulphernut

How much do I tip the guide?

Tipping is not mandatory, but it is greatly appreciated.

15 - 20% would probably be the norm.

I think it depends to a great deal on what happens on the trip. I once had a guided trip on the Mosquito Lagoon where the guide was hung over and brought his kid with him - who fished too. He didn't bring the promised bait and 'had' to stop before we hit the Lagoon at MickeyDees for breakfast for his kid. We gave serious thought to canceling but went anyway. It was a waste. And we didn't tip him.

The first guided trip I ever took was on the Delaware with a guy that acted like we were going fishing with him and paid no attention to us at all and in fact, ignored us generally. Bad news.

And then there's the good ones - and I had no pause tipping them. A 100 fish day on the Susquahanna and a lesson in fishing besides with Bob Clouser.

So in my mind, tip when appropriate and appropriately. But I think the scale is $0 to 15%.

Depends on how good a job he does and how helpful/friendly is is towards you. Here in Mi the average cost for a guide for a Trout/salmon or Steelhead trip is about $300-$365 for a full day for 1-2 people. On average the tip for a trip is here is $50/$75

Steve