Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Mid-Michigan River

cool.gif It's amazing what you learn about a river when you turn some logs.

My "living in the enviroment" class took a field trip to the lower boardman yesterday and also turned some logs and dug into the muck. I think we pulled out 2 red worms, 2 freshwater shrimp, and a small nymph of some kind.

Neat post, guys

Did you guys feel like kindi gardners looking for bugs to gross out the girls blink.gif

thanks ralf, i will have to see what i can come up with in the next few nights. gonna be alot of tying going on at night up there, i can feel it already:)

Well guy's I am not a tyer, per say, but for a flatter body wouldn't a jig work for creating the flat appearance, on e that would be used for a wax worm. Not sure if you would be limited in size but may just work. dunno.gif

I have used lead tape in the past to get a flat and wider appearce on flies.

Local golf shops have it and it's cheap. Easy to trim to shape. wink.gif

Nice bugs. smile.gif

I can do some quick IDs for ya...

The top stonefly is in the Perlidae family, the golden stoneflies.

The shrimp appears to be a scud... very common in lots of rivers in this area, especially weedy creeks.

The really big stonefly nymph is a Pteronarcys nymph, the eastern salmonfly.

I'm not sure about the big caddis... they're a little harder to ID by general appearance.

On the picture of the log, the things you're calling rockworms are caddis larvae. The greenish one looks like a netspinner from the family Hydropsychidae.

I've got a bunch of pics of the sort on my website, in the underwater photos of invertebrates section... instead of turning over the rocks and logs, I just take pics of them underwater. smile.gif http://www.troutnut.com/underwater/invertebrates/index.php

If you like this kinda stuff you may enjoy those too.

epoxy putty or tungsten putty wil add some serious width, too.

I'd go for the the weave technique.

Tie in a white underbody of floss

Weave the body with dark brown and clear ribbing

For the antenae, I'd use fireline or some other kind of braided line. It's got the right color, and it's very limp and will move around more than stiff maxima. But, it may foul around your tippet. I like going without antenae.

- Adam

QUOTE (Shoe @ Mar 23 2004, 02:03 PM)
That shrimp was quite dark, but somewhat translucent with a red spot on his back. I'm sure they take on the color of the environment.

Shoe-

As Scuds are largely transparent, they take on the color of their gut content, which tends to range somewhere between light tan and dark olive.