Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dsaavedra

EP flies

can anyone give me a link to a good step by step tutorial for tying EP flies? ive looked around and i kinda get the idea, but not so great....any help would be appreciated.

I used the peanut bunker tutorial in the step by step section. It will get you started but from then on its just practice. It took me a while but once I got it I could whip a fly out in no time.

Undertow

I used the peanut bunker tutorial in the step by step section. It will get you started but from then on its just practice. It took me a while but once I got it I could whip a fly out in no time.

Undertow

That's really a good point. Learning he heart behind basic techniques and then teaching yourself to recognize them in new fly patterns is key to really becoming a prolific tier. I like to practice by scanning the fly bins and buying flies that I haven't seen before, then jumping on the vise to duplicate them.

thanks guys, i realy like the tutorial for the peanut bunker. i think i'll do that for shad style flies.

I noticed that everyone on here tends to tie bulky wide ep flys, I personally like to make mine smaller. The smallies in my area seem to prefer a thinner ep fly rather than a big one. One that looks more like a minnow. Kind of like this.

IPB Image

The top fly is a regular ep fly, the bottom is the kind I tie.

Undertow

yea that was my first one and i see now that i used WAY too much material. here is a pic of my second attempt:

IPB Image

my third one is the same pattern as my second, only its even more sparse. i like the second one the best, only because of the body shape, the third one is more slender, but i like this one cuz its rounder, like a bluegill.