Fly Tying
Vito1

How much to spend on an DSLR?

Alright guys, I'm looking for some help. How much should I plan to spend on a decent DSLR? I can't afford a top of the line but I don't want purchase a low end camera either. I'm sure this is a loaded question so any help you guys can give would be great. If you were to only buy one lens, what would be the best all around lens to get? Most of my pictures are nature and fishing related.

Matt

Hi Matt, I have a Pentax ist dl which I like very much. As far as the lense, that would depend on how far away you are shooting your subject. I have a 28-80mm lense and a 100-300mm lense and I really don't see me buying another lense unless it is a dedicated Macro lense. I spent something like $300-400 for my camera and the 28-80mm lense on ebay. I hope this helps.

Jim

I personally think the biggest decision you should make is what brand of lenses you want. In the future you can always upgrade the body but if you switched brands it would mean having to buy all new glass. By picking a brand you want to stick with for life you can always use your old lenses on a new body.

With that said, with your budget I would go with the D40. I own a D60 and I love it and the D40 is about the same camera I have with a few less features. For starting out you won't miss many of these features and by using Nikon lenses you only have to upgrade the body if you want to get a bit more "serious". Also, it is right in your price range: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-18-55m...r/dp/B000KJQ1DG

I used my D60 for all of the photographs in the magazine so I would think that the D40 would be capable of shooting about the same quality.

I agree, a Nikon D40 or D40x combo with the 18-55 is a great system at a great price. Look at the fantastic photos Mokia posts, sharp, great color, contrast etc, taken with a D40.

Hey Matt,

I would suggest going doown to your local camera shop or electronics store and getting some hands on..I dont think you can buy a bad DSLR of any of the top brands..They all make good cameras and it comes down to personal choice..One of the reasons I went with Nikon over Canon was the way it felt in my hand..I wanted one that would feel comfortable holding it for several hours looking for that great shot..To me the Canon Rebel felt small and hard to hold onto..But others love the feel of the grip..So take your time and get the one you like best..

Lenses are a whole other issue..This is really where you want to spend your money wisely..A good piece of glass will make an entry level DSLR take much better photos and make you much happier with the results..

I dont know much at all about Canon lenses but if you go with Nikon I would suggest the Nikkor 18-200mm VR..This would be a great all around lens from wide angl to a pretty good telephoto .. Here is a REVIEW ..Here is the best PRICE on it that I found from a trusted vendor ..The VR (Vibration Reduction) on this lens will give you up to 4 stops on the aperture for better low light shots than a non VR lens..I think you can buy just the body only on the D40 and that would save you some money towards the purchase of a better lens .. Be warned though, once you get into this DSLR stuff your liable to spend allot more money than you had planned..I know I did :)

Good luck in your quest and enjoy whatever you get..Hope this helps..

Be warned though, once you get into this DSLR stuff your liable to spend allot more money than you had planned..I know I did :)

I kind of figured this. I'm just not satisfied enough with the quality of photos from my current point and shoot digital, but its good enough for now. I appreciate everyone's input and I plan on taking my time with this decision. Just figured I'd start now so I don't rush into anything. I already promised the wife I would take care of some home improvements before buying anymore toys. ;)

You might even want to consider renting a camera and lens. I was in over my head with the D200, way over my head. I had no idea what an f/stop was, or any of the buttons on my camera. I think it will take me a couple more years before I completely understand and control what my camera can do. I like to practice taking photos in my backyard, using every exposure combination, and also under and over expose, and then study the photos in the Nikon Capture software, which allows you to change many of the settings made on the caemra. Really cool stuff. I've also spent much more money than expected in the last year, often buying tools to enable capturing the photos I want to take. I recently had to get the Nikon wireless remote, so I can set up my camera on a tripod, and stand back 25 feet and take closeup photos of finches in flight. Collecting quality filters cost $, especially 4x6 split ND's. Just when I think I'm all set, another challege comes along, like wanting to take underwater shots.

Sorry for rambling on, I just couldn't be happier with my investment in time and $ in photography. Photography in the past year has made my life much more interesting in so many different ways. This o'l dog feels good learning new tricks.