Fly Tying
Chad Trout

Fly Shadow Boxes

Has anyone made any fly shadow boxes for flies. Was thinking about making a few for xmas gifts this year and was curious if anyone has done this.

Hi Chad Trout,

I've made a bunch of them. The least expensive (and really good looking) is to mount (using a "dot" of glue) a fairly flat fly in a regular picture frame often found at craft stores rather than making a "deep shadow box" for flies mounted on pins that are more dimensional. Flies I identify as:

1. Fairly flat - Full dress Atlantic salmon, steelhead, traditional wets, some streamers

2. Dimensional - Parachutes, most larger dries, soft hackle patterns, hair hackle flies, spun hair flies

I look forward to what other member advise; I'm always looking for a new idea; maybe I'll get my wish. Take care & ...

Tight Lines – Al & Gretchen Beatty

BT’s Fly Fishing Products &

Flyfisher Magazine

[email protected]

[email protected]

208-362-2663 (phone & fax)

208-861-0564 (cell)

I think we might have discussed this in Timely Tips a while ago but since you folks are asking, visit your local dollar store....sometimes you get lucky and find shadow box frames that have junky little plastic flowers or something like that. Open the box and take the junky flowers out and you have a "dimensional" shadow box for a buck!

It's funny that you posted today Al...I was thinking of you and pondering excise tax issues on shadow box framed flies. Your article a while back on the business of flytying in Fly Tier was most excellent BTW...thanks for that.

John

Hi John,

For those who didn't see the other post: Flies mounted in shadow boxes are considered "artwork" and don't qualify for Federal Excise Tax; thank God! Take care & ...

Tight Lines – Al & Gretchen Beatty

BT’s Fly Fishing Products &

Flyfisher Magazine

[email protected]

[email protected]

208-362-2663 (phone & fax)

208-861-0564 (cell)

I made several shadow box displays that held 6 big streamer flies. I also bought mine at the dollar store and they included a sliding glass front. To mount the flies, I bought coloured thin foam and cut two pieces with pinking shears to overlap vertically near the centerline of the box. This gave me a zig-zag edge to hook the flies into. They were given as a prize.

Alan

post-9742-1186779240_thumb.jpg

I bought some cheapo shadow boxes that I plan to dress up a bit and mount some flies in, but I want to do it using superglue and a clear acrylic dowel.

I've seen somebody (maybe steelie?) here talk about doing it that way and provide a link to an acrylic dowel supplier. I hope they stop by and do so again!!

Here's a frame that will be in a fund raising auction in September at my local FFF club. I think it looks pretty good.

IPB Image

Thanks for the link over to the Joergensen article on framing flies...great info. Also, I took a peak at your artwork and I wanted to complement you on it. More realistic than say a Reneson or Pleissner but not too realistic....excellent treatment of light on the water....outstanding!

Graham your work is as always....amazing! What was the depth of that frame? Is the fly mounted on an acrylic post?

I'm liking this post a lot....thanks for all the great info...keep it coming..

John