Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
3FL2

Hello FTF!!!

Hello Everyone...

I would like to start and say who ever said fly tying was easy was on glue!! I'm 27 years old beginner fly tier, I have also been fly fishing for only six mons and love every chance I can to get out to the River. I'm from NY- Long Island south shore area looking to relocate to NC- Charlotte or Raleigh area. I tied my first fly pattern last night - elk Hair Caddis...Well I thought it was.. It's a start I guess.. I just keep practicing. This sport is great Fly Fishing is relaxing at times as much as it has it's bad days..It's still the best.. I figured that once I learn how to tie properly then I will be able to tie up patterns at the river and catch more fish. I have tons of questions for the pros of this art...

1. Whats the best pattern to learn on?

2. What's the best book to learn basic tying skills?

3. The whip finish..Yea... What's the best way with the tool or with out?

4. Who makes the best vise for the money?

5. How do you get the wings say elk hair to stay on with out sliding off? I tried the pinch method- No good

6. What other tips should a beginner know?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!

Welcome to the forum! :D

I'll help as much as I can.

1. Whats the best pattern to learn on?

Wolly Buggers, Adams, Hares ear and Elk hair caddis

2. What's the best book to learn basic tying skills?

Really hard to choose from all the books, Look at a few and pick the one you think will be the best for you

3. The whip finish..Yea... What's the best way with the tool or with out?

If you know how, By hand is the best

4. Who makes the best vise for the money?

Renzetti or Dyna-King, IMO.

5. How do you get the wings say elk hair to stay on with out sliding off? I tried the pinch method- No good

Soft loop, When you have the hair on top of the hook ready to tie it on, Pull the thread up the near side of the hook, Pull the thread between your fingers and bring it over the far side of the hook, Then slowly pull the thread down and that should keep the hair on top of the hook. Because if you wrap the thread while it is taut it just pushes the hair off the hook.

That was a little hard to explain, I don't know if you can figure that out, Maybe somebody else can explain a little better.

6. What other tips should a beginner know?

Practice, Practice, Practice and practice some more, And then if that doesn't work you could always try practice:D

1. wooly worm. When you can tie those good, move to woolly bugger. When you can tie those good, start moving on.

2. Lots to choose from- pick one with lots of good photos, or just keep reading this site and looking at links.

3. Hand.

4. Peak.

5. Practice- work on a fly and intentionally pull hard enough to break the thread several times so you know how much tension you can apply. Make sure you're using good thread, like 3/0 monocord- you can go to smaller thread later when you get comfortable.

6. practice, read, and if you know someone who is a good tier, get them to help.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

1. Wooly bugger (or worm), hare's ear, soft hackles, stay away from the Adam's until you learn more skills. They are harder to tie than they look.

3. It pays to learn both. Hand is more convenient and can do things a tool can't but the tool is easier for me. (matarelli style whip finisher)

4. I've heard good about Danvise if you want a low cost rotary vice. Otherwise Renzetti, Peak, Dyna King, others all make good reasonable priced vices.

Good Day,

I have been tying for three months now and have experinced everything you are.

Here is what worked for me.

Pattern: Started with the BHPT, Hairs ear, Wooly, and zebra midges. I tied around 50 of each, Each time I tied a dozen, I would take them to a great teacher at a local fly, He gave me great suggestions on how to change them.

Book. I bought the Orvis Flytying guide. It has good step by step on many patterns and a good overview of the tools and a nce pattern index. I also picked up a DVD or two. However, I have found the WWW to be the best sorce of info. This is a great site, also try youtube, and google every question you have.

Whip. I learned both ways, so far, the tool is working best for me.

Vise, I just upgraded my cheap kit vise to a Apex Anvil. They sell for around $100.00. Great Vise!

Other advise. Tye a little everyday. Find a good teacher that dosen't mind looking your flies over and giving honest advise. Be open to criticism,

Practice everyday, but don't try to tye when you get frustrated. Just walk away, come back to the bench in a few hours. I have found that some days I can tye anything I try, other times I can't tye the basics.

Hope this helps

Nate

Good Day,

I have been tying for three months now and have experinced everything you are.

Here is what worked for me.

Pattern: Started with the BHPT, Hairs ear, Wooly, and zebra midges. I tied around 50 of each, Each time I tied a dozen, I would take them to a great teacher at a local fly, He gave me great suggestions on how to change them.

Book. I bought the Orvis Flytying guide. It has good step by step on many patterns and a good overview of the tools and a nce pattern index. I also picked up a DVD or two. However, I have found the WWW to be the best sorce of info. This is a great site, also try youtube, and google every question you have.

Whip. I learned both ways, so far, the tool is working best for me.

Vise, I just upgraded my cheap kit vise to a Apex Anvil. They sell for around $100.00. Great Vise!

Other advise. Tye a little everyday. Find a good teacher that dosen't mind looking your flies over and giving honest advise. Be open to criticism,

Practice everyday, but don't try to tye when you get frustrated. Just walk away, come back to the bench in a few hours. I have found that some days I can tye anything I try, other times I can't tye the basics.

Hope this helps

Nate

Thank You very much.. I do have a teacher at a local fly shop, and on sundays he has Fly tying where all the tiers in the area come down to the shop and tie, And newcomers are encourage to attend. I also have found that I can tie made up patterns real well but I still cant get patterns to look like the original

take as much advantage of your sunday meeting place as possible, i dont have one of those near me being in northeast IN in a small town with very few tiers... i would love one though. one problem i noticed when i taught a beginners class at the library was a lack of thread tension. its perhaps the main cause of durable and nice looking flies IMO. if you keep your thread taught you can put it where ever you want it making a nicer looking fly and when you keep things tight it leads to less fluff, fluff that falls apart on your first cast.

my reccomendation, put a hook in your vise, tye your thread on, break it off, repeat until you know exactly how hard you can pull on your thread then when you tie try to pull just hard enough that you dont break it.

welcome to fly tying, fishing, and the forum hope you like it :headbang:

3FL2, check out the videos here, http://kwsu.publictelevision.org/stations/...id=12&pid=2 also like the others have said practice, practice, practice. Don't get discouraged just keep trying and tying. Also be sure to fish what you tie. There's no better feeling than catching a fish on something you made yourself! And welcome to the adicction of fly tying.

Thanks for all the advice. Thread tighness has been a skill that I'm currently working on, I have noticed that my flies are comming out much tighter and more durable as some of you guys have suggested. thanks again

3FL2.....Welcome...there is a whole PLETHORA of knowledge here so all you gotta do is ask and one of these great poeple here will answer,...well probably more than one answer ...I think you know what i'm sayin.

anyway welcome and enjoy the site IT'S the BEST............

mike :D