Fly Tying

Used Lenses

What do you look at when looking at buying a used lense? I am going to look at 3 lenses a person has for sale on Craigs list. Here is the link Lenses I know to watch out for scratches, if it works with my camera and is auto focus (which the guy says they are auto focus). How do you tell if there is fungus on a lense? I have heard people talk about this but I have never seen any fungus on a lense.

Thanks

Jim

Pretty well all of my lenses are used except for one. I've got some pretty basic rules when it comes to buying a used lens and they haven't let me down, yet.

1) Take your camera in with you so you can see if the lens works with your camera. This applies to both auto focus and manual lenses. Put the lens on your camera and take a few dry shots or if you use film like I do take a few empty camera shots.

2) Ask to do a close inspection. If you're refused, go elsewhere and don't look back. Any dealer who has nothing to hide will have no problem with you inspecting the lens.

3) Does the lens feel right? Does it operate smoothly without any funny noises or jerky movements? Too sloppy or too loose? Do the switches or lens controls operate properly? If you have a manual focus, does the aperture work correctly and smoothly?

4) Look for signs of mis-use. Normal wear is acceptable but scratches and dings are not. If you see a ding around the end, thread a filter on and see if it goes on the way it should. I looked at one lens that had a small ding on the end and found out that it was out of round after having been dropped. I always look at the screws on the lens to see if someone has tried to get into the lens and if I see signs that the lens has been opened or tampered with, I ask why and who.

5) Has the lens been well looked after? If a lens looks dirty and like it hasn't seen a cleaning cloth since new, then I look a lot closer and more carefully. First thing that gets yanked is the UV filter. I usually take my lens cleaning kit with me and clean both ends of the lens so I can see the condition of the coating and glass. Then I extend the lens to the fullest length, point the camera end up to a light and look carefully back thru the tube. This way you can see any lens fungus, glass damage, water marks, etc. on the inside.

6) If there are issues with the lens and you still want it, can you get the problems resolved or fixed for less than the price of a new lens when you figure in the cost of repairs and initial price of the lens? I've been lucky in this respect as I've been able to talk the seller down in price because of issues and get the lens repaired for less than half the cost of a new lens.

I've managed to uncover some diamonds in the rough using these steps and have also managed to avoid buying someone else's problems. Hope these guidelines help.

Good luck with your lens purchase Jim and I hope to see some shots with the new glass soon!

Ernie

I know one thing - if I ever decide to buy a used lens, I'm gonna ask Ernie to inspect it for me. Great advice. The only thing I could really add is that if it's possible, find out who owned the lens and if it's a pro, just turn around and run. Even if it appears to be in fine shape you can bank on the fact that the lens has been through the mill several times over. If you're concerned about camera compatibility or generic issues, Fred Miranda's site has a lot of user reviews of most lenses that are pretty useful. A side note: when I was researching a new system, I checked out what was available on eBay just for the heck of it, and I found a lot of used lenses that were going for prices that were equal to and sometimes higher than what a new lens would cost from a reputable retailer. And that's sight unseen from an unknown seller with no guarantee of a valid warranty. That was a real eye-opener.

I took a gamble and bought my 300mm f/4 used on Amazon. I contacted the owner, who live's in Colorado to see why he was parting with it. He wanted to sell the 300 and buy an 80-400 because he was really into bird photography, and needed longer glass. I paid $750 for the lens, a bargain compared to a new lens, and I've been very happy with lens. The owner also mentioned that the lens will come with a 77mm UV filter, which had been on the lens since day one, so, I felt confident the lens was not scratched. This lens is one of my favorites.

Funny you should bring this up. I just picked up a used 80-400mm Tokina today. Most on ebay were selling for around $500-600 I ended up getting the lens for 150.00.

I brought my camera with me and also took some sample photos. The lens was a back up lens for the guy who had the a Canon 300mm L IS and he wanted some quick cash to pay down his new lens purchase. I am very pleased with this lens. Here is the link... http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&a...t=26&lpid=1

I feel I got a great deal.

http://www.thkphoto.com/products/tokina/afl-08.html

The reviews have been good. Now I have my new Cannon 90-300mm and the Tokina 80-400mm

Time to go play after it stops raining :)

J, let us know if you decide to buy and post some photos!

Thanks for the help everyone. Man Ernie you really know your stuff don't you. I was planning on taking my camera and cleaning kit. I am affraid though at the prices he is asking (very little) they are going to be manual focus lense which won't do me any good. But I am seeing the man Saturday morning and hopefully I will come away with something I can use. That 400mm would be sweet.

Thanks again

Jim

All three of those lenses were manual focus (SHUCKS!!!!). But I just won this auction and I think it will do me just fine. I found the exact same lense of KEH for $189 plus shipping and I got this one for $177.55 which includes the shipping. Can't wait for it to get here. With a f/1.4 I shouldn't have much trouble with the lighting in those school gyms.

Ebay

Jim

Have you ever tried a full manual lens Jim?

It really isn't that bad.

If you want I can give you a long term loan on a Pentax M-mount 50 f2.

Just cover the shipping and I'm happy.

If you don't mind manual lenses it really opens the world of affordable glass up to you.

Thanks for the offer Stu. But my problem is my eyes don't focus like they should on things anymore than a armslength away. I am thought of looking into maybe getting a manual focus lense for up close macro shots, I think they should come out clear.

Thanks again Stu.

Jim

For landscapes you shouldn't have to worry.

Just put the lens on the object that looks like a sideways 8, and it's focused to infinity.

Most lenses are focused to this point whenever your focused to anything past 30'. With our kit lens it's anything past 8'

Macro's might be tough on you, even with auto focus. Don't even bother unless your using a tripod.

Another tip that I can offer you is we can program our cameras to beep when it's in focus as well :)

Even though I have 20-20 vision I use this option for those hard to focus shots.

Especially close up pictures.

If your interested in programing that in I can let you know how to with the K100D. It's probably similar with the other Pentax cameras.

Now see what you did Stu. I am breaking out the camera to see if I have that option on my camera. The drama continues on FTF.

jim

You are absolutely correct. I found it and it does work in MF mode also. Man that will really open me up to a bunch of lenses out there.

Thanks

jim

No problem Jim.

I found the function about 2 months ago, and have used it ever since.

It doesn't appear to use any of the battery life or anything.

I don't know why it isn't a default setting ;)

I should mention that it appears to work best when the object is in the center of the frame.

Well I just emailed the ebay seller to see if I can back out on this transaction. If he/she will let me do that. I am going back to look at those lenses again. Especially that 400mm beast.

Thanks Stu that is going to be a big help in the future.

Jim