Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TimRussell

Joinin Knots?

What kind of knot does everybody use to connect the fly line to the leader? I just learned the surgeons knot? Will this hold up for bream-trout? Thanks and what do you all use? ttyl, tight lines, and good tyin.-Tim smile.gif

Do you mean the actual weighted line to the leader?

Many connections are used to attach a fly line and leader butt: Albright Knot; Nail Knot; Loop-to-loop connection to name a few.

Leader piece knots: Surgeon's(variations according to twist count); Uni-Knot; etc.

I used to use a nail knot to tie the line to the leader and a surgeon's knot for the tippet, but I just started using loop end leaders with good results.

I use loop ends exclusively. You just slip the end on, put the shrink wrap over the seam and hold a lighter to it for a few secs. Then connect your leader or tippet using a loop to loop connection.

This method has stood up to numerous chinook over 30 pounds. Can't beat it IMHO.

Okay, so let's carry this a bit further:

Braided Mono Looped Ends. I HATE!!! the Cortland Braided loops with the shrink-tube connection. I'm glad somebody likes them. I've had them fray until the loop end ripped open; several years ago they were heavily discussed elsewhere and a majority determination was they sucked in their current configuration. If someone wanted to use one, it is well advised to nail knot or whip the braided end to the end of the fly line.

A better way: make your own braided DACRON looped ends and apply them to the fly line. Another way is to nail knot a mono loop, made with a Perfection Loop or non-slip loop or what-have-you, to the fly line end.

As I said and others mention, a butt section can be knotted onto, then tied to progressively smaller sections down the leader.

A couple other things I failed to mention. "Practical Fishing Knots II", by Lefty Kreh/Mark Sosin, is a fantastic publication that will help you with almost every fishing knot question you might have. Further, if you research 'fishing knots' on the Web, you'll find line drawings and interactive tieing instructions for all you'll ever need.

i use loop to loop, if for nothing else the ease of changing the leader... but first i tie in a butt section of stiff mono to my fly line via nail knot. at the end of this mono i have either a perfection loop of a double surgeons loop.

I don't know exactly why i do this other than ease, no cutting into the fly line, and I REALLY dislike the shrink wrap and japanese finger handcuff type loops. Though I do have one of those on one of my lines, and I used zap a gap on it to keep in place. A little stiff for my liking, but it works i guess.

steve

Beg borrow or buy the book Dave Fix mentions. It has all the knots you'll ever need. For the line to leader connection I use the whipped loop out of the book, or if I want to get out on the water immeadiately a nail knot.

Oh and on a surgeons knot using a third loop makes it stronger when tying thin materials.

I have gone to using a braided loop on the bussiness end of my fly line especially since my last line was over $50. still use a surgeons knot for tying in tippet section and repairing the shock tippet. when I build a leader I use a nail knot. All are great knots. Use what works best for you

Tube blink.gif

I like loop to loop conectors. I can change leaders quickly and easy in low light conditions. For my loop on my fly line, I use 15 or 20 lb amensia. Attach with a nail knot to your fly line. and tie a perfection loop on the other end 4 to 6 inches long. Works very well!

just my 2 cents.

+ON my smaller rods 6wt and down I like to run a needle up the end of the fly line, then use a good ca glue and thats it. makes a permanent bond. Dave whitlock uses this method for all his lines, he did an article in fly fisherman mag back in dec. For all my others I make my own braided loops out of cortland braided mono, which I buy in 100 ft. spools in 30 and 50 lb. test. I cut off about 5 feet on each spool then use the rest for running lines on my custom heads...