Fly Tying
breambuster

Hook Size???

I have always been able to catch bream (bluegills) on fishing worms, and today was no exception. I went to a small, nearby pond and caught several. But so far, I'm striking out with the fly rod. I tried some of my new black gnats today and had fish grab at them but not take them. They are tied on a size 10 hook. I think when I have a chance next week, I will get some size 12's. For those of you who catch, or have caught, panfish on a fly, what hook sizes do you prefer?

Thanks.

Randall

I think when you get some 12's that should be about perfect. Of course it all depends on how big the gill are that your targeting. I'm sure the big boys can put something down a little bigger than a 12 cool.gif

Bream

as Will says it depends on what I am targeting. Most of my nymphs, and wets are tied on a size 14 hook (I dont like to go smaller than that)

Dries are almost all tied on a size 12 hook.

But I do have some streamers that I fish the big gills in the spring that I fish up to a size 6 ( I am talking the 12 inch gills). And they took streamers that big an inch down their throat.

John

I love fishing for bluegill on my 4wt fly rod. I typically use nymphs, tied on 12 and 14 hooks. I find Hares Ear and Prince flies work very well. Most anything with a bead head will get their attention. The pond that I sometimes stop by while commuting to work is extreamly clear (spring fed). Anything with some sort of flash, sparkle or color seems to draw the bluegill from quite a distance.

A fellow fly fisherman at work ties a nice small Woolly Worm with a bright red yarn tail on a size 14 hook. I don't know what it is about red, but it seems to be like a red cape used by a matadore trying to get the attention of a Bull.

More later,

Ken S.

I tend to use larger hooks for sunfish/bluegills. I tie my nymphs or soft hackles on size 10 and 12. My poppers on size 6 to 10. I've noticed a decline in the number of fish I catch. My 40-50 fish days are down in the 15 to 30 fish range, but I consistently catch the larger fish, in my local stream, 5 to 7 inches.

If you want to catch them for fun and possible release, use a hook they won't immediately swallow and gore themselves with. If you don't care, give them something to suck down instantly. I was raised to 'take' them just as they began to "take" the hook, so they didn't swallow it. Now I understand my grandfather's logic, even tho' he released very few fish in his life but, to me, it's more sporting and fair to the fish to lip hook it if at all possible

I agree DFix about causing unnecessary pain. I hate it when a fish swallows the hook all the way down to his tail. However, I release very few bream. But they don't go t wase either. I fish not just for the sport, but also for the table. It's a part of my raising, as we would say down South. If I catch more than I can eat the day I catch them, I put them in the freezer for later. But I have been known to stop when I had enough for the next meal.

I applaude those who catch and release. I have no use for those who catch and throw in the trash can.

Randall

I like a number 10 hook for most all my Bluegill fishing. On a tough day I'll go down as far as a 16 dry or nymph, but then I have a lot of deep hookings to deal with. I like to weed out the little guys. Even during a hatch you can usually get a bluegill to take a bigger fly presented properly. Even with a 10 Wooly Worm they'll sometimes take the whole thing in.

I use a various amount of hooks sizes. i have had best luck with sizes 8 through 14 they offten swallow smaller hooks and they are harder to get to.

Greg

I wont go below an 8 for sunnies, if the hook is too big for them to take it then i dont really want to catch them. I am usualy only at the lake so that my kids can catch fish so I only get to cast when Im not murdreing worms for them.

Quality not Quantity I guess, But I let all of them go just cause I am too lazy to clean those little things