Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RoyalWulff

Copper John

Hello again,

The copper john wingcase is fairly unique, as it is a shiney clear case. What process do you guys use and what materials do you use to make this wingcase.

Im looking for lots of variety here.

-Phil

John Barr, the originator of the Copper John, uses a strip of Thin Skin for the wingcase with a single strand of pearl Flashabou pulled up over the center. After the head is tyed off the wingcase is covered over with epoxy.

I use two pieces of Opal Mirage and then cover the area with a drop of clear epoxy

exactly what i do :D

I use a wider peice of silver tinsel for the wing case and coat it with nail polish. It doesn't look as good as J B's but the fish and the tree gods both like them.

I use a piece from an audio cassette tape for the wing case, and like Barr, Pearl Flahabou for the thin strip down the middle. I coat it with Sally Hansen's clear. (one cassette tape will tie 4,237.3 Copper Johns)

hahaha thanks for the very specific respone there Chase lol. What I have been doing was taking a black goose boit and then a coulpe strands of pearl krystal flash and then sally hansen'in that bad boy up. It seems like a lot of work for that little wingcase, so I was looking for faster more effecient ways of tying it.

-thanks

how many coats, and how to you apply the sally hansen, i hve tried that a bunch of times now, and it always just soaks into the herl.

I also use thin skin, but then I pull 2-3 strands of crystal flash over the top before applying the epoxy, The crystal flash gives it more flash through the bulk of the epoxy than the mylar tinsel products IMO. I don't use the HAN products on wing cases. They don't seem to build up for me very well and, as you've found out Ilikefish, it soaks into the fly when used like that.

Depending the color of Copper John I am tying I use magic shrimp foil and a small strip of mirage tinsel, pull them over and then use either UV Knot Sense or epoxy to give it the clear coated bubble. Check out www.charliesflyboxinc.com for a step by step.

how many coats, and how to you apply the sally hansen, i hve tried that a bunch of times now, and it always just soaks into the herl.

Barr's first Copper Johns had a wingcase of turkey quill. But he experienced the same problem with the epoxy soaking in. That's why he switched to the Thin Skin. (I am going to try the cassette tape. Sounds like a great idea! And I have miles of the stuff waiting to be disposed of.)

Barr's first Copper Johns had a wingcase of turkey quill. But he experienced the same problem with the epoxy soaking in. That's why he switched to the Thin Skin. (I am going to try the cassette tape. Sounds like a great idea! And I have miles of the stuff waiting to be disposed of.)

I use some opal mylar as the wing case, so its not soaking into that, it seems to run off the edges and soak into the thorax

wapsi thin skin with flashabou too.

i use hansens on most things, but when i make these i steal the wife's LA hard as nails. little thicker and is more gel like.

camoham

... and then use either UV Knot Sense or epoxy to give it the clear coated bubble.

I love UV Knot Sense for this application. Much less messy than epoxy, too.