Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Digital Camera

I see that I am going to need to step up to the plate if I am going to hang out with you guys/gals. Does anyone have a recommendation on a digital camera that is fairly easy to use/good quality and a fair price.

Thanks in advance for your help. help.gif

I have a Sony digital camera and I always have been partial to all Sony electronics. I have a 2 megapixel camera and it prints great photos up to 5" x 7" which is all the bigger I'll ever want to print. I was looking around and found a Sony DSC-P52 which is a 3.2 megapixel camera which will print out 8" x 10" photos very nicely and is more than enough for posting images on the web. According to dealtime.com the prices on the camera range from $239.00 to $290.00 and they list 52 stores where you can buy it on the web. Here's a link if your interested: http://www2.dealtime.com/xPO-Sony_Cyber_Shot_DSC_P52

If your not interested in printing and just want something for the web then you can go much cheaper because any digital camera out there is more the adequate for web view.

If you plan on taking close up pictures Make sure the camera has a macro setting. It comes in handy when taking pictures of flies.

My camera is a 3 years old now and It still takes good pictures Maybe I will get a new one sometime soon and just use the old camera for pictures when I'm on the stream that way I don't take a bath if I fall in the river if you know what I mean.

This is a picture taken with my old Olympus D-460 with only 1.3 mega pic's

You can buy the same camera now on Ebay for about 120.00

Yestertech is always a good buy.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopos...shedff.jpg?4056

OSD.

I agree that you should look into a cam with a macro setting. My cam will focus down to 1.6", perfect for tiny flies. Also don't be impressed with "digital zoom" features, the picture quality goes down with it. An optical zoom gives a higher quality pic.

You can get a 1 to 2 megapixel cam pretty cheap, but the more mp's, the more $$.

Hey guys couple questions because i am also looking at dig cams myself........

Smallie the price's you quoted are for the sony that is good for the 8"x10" pics right? what did you pay for the sony you have that does the 5"x7"s?

Also are dig cams as durable as 35mm. Meaning...will it survive in the pocket of a vest out on the stream or do you need to be a little more cautious with them?

STEELDRIFTER

Well I paid $200 for my camera but it was from a guy at my work so it was slightly used. I think it is a good price for a Sony. We have 3 different Sony cameras that we use at my work and all of them take decent enough pics. Once that we have(not sure of the model) only cost around $200 brand new and works decent enough.

As far as stream use goes I think they hold up pretty well. Remember there is alot of electronics that come with those things so any dampness can cause you some problems and if it falls in, good luck! I usually carry my camera in a camera bag that goes around my neck and under my arm that I'm not casting with. I only take the camera out to take a pic and I have even closed the camera up inside a ziploc bag just in case I would happen to fall in myself. We have used the camera all summer long and it even survived 5 days on the Pere Marquette without any problems. A while back I did drop the camera lens in some rapids once and it was gone forever and it turns out it has to be special ordered which kinda sucks so I would maybe suggest getting one with the automatic sliding lens cap or at least attach the cap to the camera with a string.

Ebay is a possible source or do what I did, wait for someone who wants a "bigger" camera and just buy theirs!

Browse them at your local electronics store and find one that you like and then go online and do some searching and save yourself some money!

Hey no problem if you have any more questions I'll do my best. Hey good luck on the au sable that sounds like an awesome trip!! You better have a camera for that cause I'd love to see some pics.

P.S. be sure to join the fly swap, I need all the Michigan flies I can get my hands on wink.gif