Fly Tying
Will Milne

Pattern Photography part2

Hi

Thought I would have a go at building a fully portable hand holdable macro flash setup . Mainly to photograph insects for a project.

Couple of tests- hand held camera approx 90 % of original capture ie- 10% crop. Mostly worried about highlights and shadows. No natural light involved.

IPB Image

and

IPB Image

Curious if these look passable?

Will

Holy bleepin' bleep! :o "Spectacular" is the word I'd use. Those blew by "passable" at the speed of (strobe) light.

Good, even illumination with just a hint of shadow to keep things realistic. Good depth of focus, no blown highlights -- what's not to like? Three cheers for a job well done! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

If your approach isn't proprietary, would you mind sharing it with the rest of us? Those are the kind of fly photos I'd give my left n*t to be able to make!

John

Everything John said lol. Very nice photos. Did you use a tent for these shots? Great looking shot.

Ashby

Hi Will, I agree with everyone else. Those shots are nice and clear and not blown out at all.

Jim

Excellent, I think they both look Great. Did you curve the under-layment up behind the flies, or does it lay flat?

Graham

Lol John

Since I could not live with either the guilt or thought of you loosing such an important peice of your anatomy- here is the rig I used.:)))

Ty all for the encouraging words.

Ashby- no tent.

Graham - I,m not sure what accounts for the apparant falloff in the Epheron Album ( white fly ) image but no the underlay is flat on both images.

Here is the rig-

IPB Image

and

IPB Image

it is basically a hand holdable version of the same lighting rig I had going in this thread -

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=30342

In that set of images I used an Umbrella reflected flash with a reflector disc to add the fill.

This time I have flash on a bracket and a Lumiquest Big Bounce Diffuser attached. The fill is provided by the card attatched to the flex arm. I made white/gold and siolver cards.

It looks heavy but in fact is very light.

This image was done at ISO 100/f16/TTL commander/sb600 in TTL slave mode with +0.7 compensation. Hand held.

IPB Image

The advantage of this rig is that it gives a nice angled light and you can work the mage composition very fast versus having to move/adjust a tripod and light stand/disc reflector.

Hope all that made sense:)

Will

Perfect! Thanks for the tutorial, Will! That's an ingenious setup. Easy to duplicate, light and compact.

I'd love to see some of your insect shots. Sounds like a terrific project.

Again, thanks for sharing!

All the best,

John

Will,

Great post, thanks for details.

Could you identify the bracket and flex arm, I would like to purchase the same arrangement.

Regards,

FK

Graham -ty- It's been fun playing around with various ways to do this stuff- obviously each approach has it's advantages and disadvantages. So that has been usefull on a personal level to try and sort that out.

FKROW-

That bracket was assembled from bits and peices of lighting accesories- there are a couple of of commercially available ones that would do the same thing, though I have not tried them- still testing the waters here , trying to see if the one I have is versatile enough to do or if a commercial one has advantages that would be usefull.

Kirk Macro Flash Bracket-

http://www.kirkphoto.com/brackets.html

Wimberley Bracket System-

http://www.tripodhead.com/products/flash-b...ro-brackets.cfm

There are obviously many more out there- but those two seem to be favoured by folks doing macro flash in a big way.

The Flex arm is made from from an auto flex mirror tool- I cut off the mirror and handle and epoxied a little clamp onto the end. The mirror tool was about $10.00.

Borrowed the idea from here-

http://www.tripodhead.com/products/plamp-main.cfm

The reflectors are just 1/16 th" plastic with Strathmore Chromolux Mirri ( paper backed shiny mylar I think) contact cemented to the face.

Hope that helps.

Will