Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dafack01

I took the S.S. dafack01 out for the second time yesterday!

I took the S.S. dafack01 (aka my new Heritage Redfish 12 kayak which I'm really digging BTW) out for a while yesterday. The weather has been chilly (relative term here; chilly meaning highs around 50 give or take), wet, and overcast for a straight week. Looks like it'll be the same next week too. <_<

But I went out yesterday anyways. At least there was some sun out yesterday. I casted a GULP shrimp around Little Tybee Island and the Back River at Tybee Island. Only fish on my line was a snagged 1" finger mullet. :lol: I've heard the mud flats heat up more than the sand so I mostly paddled around casting to mud flats and sawgrass banks. Found a couple neat flats that look very fishy at high tide.

Coolest part of the day though was when I was just paddling around aimlessly (which was most of the day admittedly). I was at the confluence of Back River and another tidal creek and just sat there on the water watching a pod of Dolphins for about 10 minutes! I'm not sure what they were doing but they kept on surfacing and diving for a good 10 minutes! All this took place not 20 yards from me! Of course i didn't have a camera.

I didn't stay out as long as I wanted to because a) the fishing sucked and the weather didn't give me any confidence to say out, and B) it was almost high tide and I didn't feel like fighting high tide any more.

So I pulled out, loaded up, and went for a nice long walk on the beach. :) There's nothing like a walk on the beach to recharge your batteries.

Sweet,

Wait till you see a pod of Dolphin chase a school of Seatrout up onto shore and corral them like cowboys, it's quite a spectacular show. Fins Flippers and Teeth in a frenzy.

Sweet,

Wait till you see a pod of Dolphin chase a school of Seatrout up onto shore and corral them like cowboys, it's quite a spectacular show. Fins Flippers and Teeth in a frenzy.

That sounds awesome! I hope I get to see that sometime soon! :headbang:

Dafack01 & Savannah Flies,

OK here's the scoop,

I was at the NJ fly-fishing show last week. They had Heritage Red fisher 14' kayaks (last years model) for $500, but only had bright red ones at the show. I called the shop and purchased one (in Khaki) today. I will be doing some training in NY the end of March and will pick it up then.

I could not find a better price on the web and have realized this kayak is made for the bigger guy (I'm 5'11" & 245lb).

2 questions.

1. Did I get a good deal? i.e., is this a good yak?

2. Did you guys ever get together fish down there? Why? Because I'm bringing this yak to Hilton Head the end of May and expect a fish frenzy.

Now, I just need to tell my wife before I bring it home. I think she'll notice it on the roof of the car (at least it's not red, should have got camo)

She OKed the purchase when she thought I wanted the $140 yak at Dicks sporting goods. And then had a bird when I told her I wanted the $900 yak. I'm always in trouble.

George

Dafack01 & Savannah Flies,

OK here's the scoop,

I was at the NJ fly-fishing show last week. They had Heritage Red fisher 14' kayaks (last years model) for $500, but only had bright red ones at the show. I called the shop and purchased one (in Khaki) today. I will be doing some training in NY the end of March and will pick it up then.

I could not find a better price on the web and have realized this kayak is made for the bigger guy (I'm 5'11" & 245lb).

2 questions.

1. Did I get a good deal? i.e., is this a good yak?

2. Did you guys ever get together fish down there? Why? Because I'm bringing this yak to Hilton Head the end of May and expect a fish frenzy.

Now, I just need to tell my wife before I bring it home. I think she'll notice it on the roof of the car (at least it's not red, should have got camo)

She OKed the purchase when she thought I wanted the $140 yak at Dicks sporting goods. And then had a bird when I told her I wanted the $900 yak. I'm always in trouble.

George

If you paid $500 then you got a hell of a deal! I paid $750 for mine and I have a Redfish 12!

You're very brave too with the Khaki, BTW! With all of the moron powerboaters out there you couldn't pay me enough to have something that camouflages into the backgroundlike Khaki does. Mine's a bright frickin yellow. :D

We've fished down here together but neither of us could hardly be considered experts. He just started fishing again this past year and I just moved down here in November. PM me when you get down here and I'd be glad to go fishing with you! You'd have to get a Georgia fishing license though because I won't have any clue about how or where to fish in South Carolina. Savannah's only about an hour away from Hilton Head though.