Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dafack01

What's the best weedguard?

After casting a reagular leadhead jig around the saltwater flats for a while I've quickly realized that weedguards are sorely needed.

Seeing that I'm really jonesin' to catch some Redfish on a fly rod, what is/are the best weedguard(s)? I'm gonna need 'em in the flats.

Hi Dafack,

I use a nylon coated stiff wire which I purchased from Walmart, I thgink its made for baracuda etc leaders but I cut a length and tie it under the hook eye projecting just beyond the point, then tie the fly.

Works for me

Best of luck

Mike.................................... B)

I use hard type Mason mono 30 lb. You should have no problem finding it down there or on stockard. I make a loop form the bend to the eye.

I rarely tie a weed guard, Clousers and Bendbacks don't need any. But when I do 30# mason hard mono is the best solution. It's clear, so the fish don't see it, and it is cheap. Tie it on like D5 said, and you're good to go.

If you're using flies that are already tied, just go buy a bag of rubber bands. Place the rubber band around the eye and then stretch/hook it to the barb. The size of the rubber band will determine the pressure required to release it and you can't get any more weedless than this.

bass fishermen have been using this trick since the beginning of time.

If you're going to tie new flies, you have another vote for 20 to 30lbs fishing line as a weed guard.

I think the answer to this question is a little more subtle.

The best weedguard is the that which best avoids hangups, whilst least impeding hookups.

My preferences in order, best listed first :-

1. Wing of the fly itself - bucktail is good for this (TroutBum's clousers & bendbacks)

2. Mono - the lower breaking strain the better. Two pieces is worth considering - configure

as 'rails' either side of the hook point.

3. Wire