Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Bass on rabbit leeches.

I just wanted to let ya'll know that I caught 4 Largemouth bass on my olive rabbit leeches with lead eyes that I had tied. They were only about 8-10" long but our bass here in Colorado don't really get big. But it sure was fun. They wouldn't hit any other colored ones. I tried black, purple, and red ones. But the only ones that got hits were olive ones. It was pretty cool. Thanks for listenin'.

Jim

I have heard alot of reports of guys catching Bass on the same exact flies but the colors seem to vary. I had luck with white ones a few weeks back, the only thing they would hit. Guy on another board said that he only found luck with chartruese and no other color. Very interesting.

Fish are like women. We will never figure them out, yet we will continue trying to..lol

I remember that back in my California bass fishing days "motor oil" was the best color for plastic worms and chartreuse was a good color for spinners. Whenever I fished a fly for bass I did best with mouse patterns and poppers on top and crawfish patterns in the shallows.

This area I was fishing was no deeper than 6 ft. I'm not sure if that would be classified as shallow or not. But it worked. After I lost that fly (which was the only one I had of that) I tried other flies and colors and not even a bite on those other ones...

That's a great depth for a crawfish pattern if you have a bank. Just cast to the bank and then strip it in like its trying to move to deeper water(or the opposite for that matter). You might need to use a big bullet weight to keep it deep but I bet you get results (If you have crawfish in the lake that is). We used to get an occasional channel cat on the same rig. Pretty fun on a 5 weight!

We have a few crawdads here. Any suggestions on a simple yet productive pattern? I have never tied one before.

Thanks

Jim

They are pretty easy to tie. Northern outdoorsman, Smallie hunter and steeldrifter all have nice patterns on this site's database. I used to put a heavy lead conehead on a #1-2 streamer hook tied upside down with a wooly bugger body and rabbit strip "claws". Mine were simpler than the ones in the database. The only thing I noticed is that they work better if they are a little pinker than the crawfish you normally see. I always assumed that they looked like they had just molted and were an even softer target.

Congrates jim sounds like you enjoyed yourself smile.gif crawdads are the staple of the bass diet. I admit that all my bass fishing to date has been with LIVE crawdads but i intend to fling some flies to them this summer for the first time.

SHUT UP WILL! laugh.gif

Last year I fished for bass with live minnows and did very well in this same res. I am trying for everything on flies this summer. Hey Will what do you think of your crawdad in a olive color? I don't have any orange material. In fact I am looking for some type of felt. Don't know if I have any or not.

Thanks

Jim

Oh yea Olive should work quite well and it seems that my local crawls get more olive as the year goes. The last I seen them in my area some had some really bright orange tipped claws.