Fly Tying
sukhoidave

Head cement thinner

What is head cement thinner? I'm thinking probably acetone because I tried mineral spirits and tuolene and they didn't seem to do anything. I'd buy a quart of acetone and just fill a small jar with some because I'll use acetone for a lot of other stuff too. Gotta be a more economical way than paying several bucks for a little bitty jar labelled Head Cement Thinner...

Can anyone give me a definite answer, please?

Acetone's pretty nasty stuff to use indoors. I've been using water based polyurethane varnish. You can get it at any hobby store. If it gets too thick, just add water. ;)

I think you nailed the most common already, tuolene and acetone can thin a number of brands, but it depends on whose bottle you have on your bench, as none thin "all" of the brands.

I use thinned vinyl cement, HH-66, that I can get from stores catering to boaters or truckers. It's also available in a good hardware store. You can get a pint for about $6.00, ditto for the thinner.

To thin simple head cement, which is essentially lacquer, use lacquer thinner. It is available in the hardware store for about $8 a quart. You and all your friends will not use that much in a lifetime.

Do NOT use it for Fleximent or other flexible or vinyl cements, and of course not for water-based or alcohol based cements (duh).

And another thing. Do NOT transfer the thinner from the can it comes in to a smaller bottle or jar indoors. The vapors can travel to a furnace or pilot light and... :crying: Boom! Do this outdoors.

I put it in a squeezy bottle with a metal tube. The 1/2 oz or so evaporates in a year, but I just refill it from the quart metal can.