Fly Tying
sherrib

Etiquette

Being directly below a Dam it will be elbow to elbow. As long as no one gets a hook to the head and You're casting in the correct order it's all good.

Brent

i've had some guys that was upset cause we were at a productive spot walkright through the dang riffle we were fishing in and it was loaded with steelies! 3 people to be exact. they stood there for like 10 minutes staring at us then finally I hear one whisper lets go right through instead of walking around. guess some people are just natural a holes. why I didn't stomp a mudhole in them I will never kno. oh well always this year coming up :P these were grown guys too. one with grey hair!

I don't care if people fish by me as long as I can cast my line. if I can then they are far enough away. not saying I like to fish in crowded spots. I am one to look for a less crowded one since I like to fish spread out a lil with my buddies. plus its rude that you are a lady and he mouthed off to ya. prolly got uppercutted by a guy last time he said something and figured he could get one over on ya

Sherri, I see your from OK. Are you fishing the Lower Illinois? If so, PM me and I might be able to tell you of some less crowded spots to fish. I refuse to fish below the Dam on the weekends, go down stream, the power bait fisherman won't be there, leaving much more room for the Fly flippers. I have ran into some pretty outspoken guys there. one guy yelled at me for fishing to close, he had to yell, because I was so far away from Him I couldn't hear what he was saying.

Nate

Yeah, we are fishing on the Lower Illinois... I have never really had a problem with those types of people. I have always had an idiot to walk in on top of me. Were you talking about the hole that has the plunge pool? I dont waste my time there. Fish it if you want to, Im not telling where to not fish. But I usually back off of that hole. There are many places that have just as many trout in them and no body fishing them.

But like somebody else said I will always ask a guy before walking up on top of a hole. I wish more people would do this. An example of what I mean. I was fishing down at Marval where they put in the rocks and I was fishing a 3 fly rig. Big heavy nymphs with a big hopper. (6wt material :lol:) Some dipstick of a kid walks up on top of me with a spinning rod and starts casting exactly where I had been casting. Well, he was about 15 foot upriver, but the thng was is that he was out on the edge of the outcropping. Just basically dropping the powerbait into the river and pulling fish. Thats a bunch of :poop: .... He then cast overtop of me and hung me up with his powerbait rig... Needless to say I was mad.. I walked up to him and schooled him on the "proper Edicate" and then walked off. I probably shouldnt have done that but he made me mad... :frusty:

B) I'm not sure wich spot you are talking about. Lisa was with me, she got really upset. With the guy not me. I in no way got my line near enough to his to interfere. But like you said I will be asking in the future.

Were you upstream or downstream of the guy?

Not that it really matters in a practical sense, but the Little Miss Manners book of fly fishing would most likely state that if you were upstream of him you were wrong, downstream you were right.

I find people have a harder time complaining if you hold their head underwater.

Technically you probably should have been yelling at him...or at least giving him the frowning of a lifetime.

Ye Olden School fly fishing lore states quite emphatically that you are to work your way upstream - therefore if you were downstream you were fishing water that he had (persumably) already fished. If he was to move he would move upstream into fresh water than you had not impacted. If his intention was to move DOWNSTREAM then ZOUNDS the Izzak Walton Society should be notified at once.

Common sense is the ultimate judge of course - and where you are is a huge variable - like I fish primarily open ocean beaches miles of water in both directions, people will routinely try to get in my waders. I used to get very angry, now I just pretend I have Tourette's, unless in mixed company then I pretend I'm Forrest Gump and start telling the most boring story I can in the most drawn out manner possible - you'd be disturbed by how often this plan backfires.

unless in mixed company then I pretend I'm Forrest Gump and start telling the most boring story I can in the most drawn out manner possible - you'd be disturbed by how often this plan backfires.

Sean, I didn't know you flew to MI every Saturday to go to swimming lessons for the under-five set...Now I know what you look like! :hyst:

No, Sir, I really don't care what kind of cool kids cartoons you can find in the Alpha quadrant using your 1970s satellite dish and a power boster from Radio shack.....

One of the things I carry in my vest is a 3ft length of good poly cord. You never know when you will get into a conflict with a worm dunker or a pushy ass and have to restrain them hog tie wise.