Fly Tying
dontheo

Inflatable Pontoon Drift Boat

when i looked at them friday night while at cabelas, i noticed they had a different valve than what is on my renegade. i like that better, you dont have to worry about having all the stupid little adapters and all that with you to fill it up.

flyfishenvy,

The Dry Fly float boats use Halkey Roberts self-deflating valves.

I believe that Dave from Dry Fly told me that he just uses the correct diameter aluminum tube stuck into the end of the hose on the hand pump. The valve is spring loaded and the air pressure opens the valve as you pump.

I hope this helps.

Pat

I had three web pages open: ebay, Cabelas, and Sams, and Sams blows them out on the Columbia. But I think It's kind of big and heavy. The Skeeter seems like the ticket. I like the size and weight of the "lake placid" model. Thanks also for the tip on the oar locks.

Ted

saum, i have the same valves as the dry fly. i purchased a hand pump from dave and he uses the aluminum tube like you said. but i cant get it to fit on my electric pump sad.gif. right now i open the valve and blow it up, then quickly close it and finish re pumping it with the hand pump. i was just hoping to find an adapter that actually pushes the valve open when using my electric pump. one of my friends has a couple of float boats, and he had (he lost it) an adapter like i mentioned.

thanks for letting me know what type of valves they are. now i can get the right thing.

Well, I only use whitewater grade boats. Mostly because I abuse my boats (in a good way lol). I've had and used alot of the boats out there pre 93'. There are some good boats out there now for the occasional floater. For most, they can get by with the lower end boats. The waterskeeters and outcasts are good boats. But I'd suggest before ANYONE buys the higher end outcasts, to look at the steelheaders Skookum Catarafts aka Steelheader. First true whitewater grade pontoon to come out in the fishing market. Also, the 9' is about the exact same price as the Outcast 9000. They carry a 10 year warranty on the pontoons, and a lifetime warranty on the frames. Have run these boats on TRUE class V's. I say true, because some people tend to THINK they know classifications, but rarely run them. Usually changes on river levels. Here's some pics of my steelheader in action (have a 10' Guide model Steelheader now). But this was a first generation Steelheader. Have been upgraded and improved now.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Now, this is an example of what it'll run. This is only about a class III max. But look how high the boat is riding. This boat has a 600# capacity. I weighed around 250#'s in this picture. Plus a 15# anchor and another 20#'s of gear. Plus had 35#'s of steelhead in that cooler in the back. Look how high that thing is riding. On most boats, you'd have maxed out the load capacity and riding lower in water. Making the boat sluggish and unresponsive. Also, the one true benefit of the boat above is you can stand up and fish it safely. Is completely stable. Can't see it in the picture, but there is a standing platform there. So I can either get out and fish, or anchor and fish from the boat (one fish that day was caught and landed in my boat).

Onto denier ratings. Bascially is the weight of the cloth. Usually factors into strength (depending on what material is being used). 1000 denier up is strong, usually whitewater grade material. The steelheaders are 3800 denier on the tops and 5500 denier on the bottom (where you need the most protection). Tough boats, and will take a hard beating.

Steelheader:

That is awesome but I am getting a little old for all that. I checked out the raft and that is a well made "boat". I like the way you can rest your feet also, on the front platform.

Ted