Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
freddyg

calf- tail substitute

I have been reading posts for quite a while. This is my first post. Is there a good substitute for calf tail when tying a trude wing? Thanks in advance

Calf tail is easy to get and cheap (about $2 each) but some good subs for it that come to mind are arctic fox hair,dyed squrriel tail though it will be mottled instead of a solid color, and my dog's tail hair (he's a eskimo spitz) though it's a little straighter than calf tail :hyst:

Welcome to the site Freddy....we had quite the discussion about calf tail and alternatives under Wulffs recently. I don't like working with calf tail but the scruffy effect must be pretty attractive to fish.

Al and Gretchen Beatty are in here some times. it would be interesting to hear from them on this....

they specialize in Humpies , trudes and the like.

Let's see if they jump in...

All the best,

John

I just tied a big batch of Pass Lakes (a Wisconsin Trude-type pattern) for the bluegill swap (breambuster should have a pic up in a day or two).

The thing I used, and will continue to do so, is braided polypropelyne (sp?) rope.

You have to look for the right rope, with fine poly fibers. If they have some translucense to them, all the better.

Take the rope, unbraid it, and hang it from your ceiling with a weight at the end to untwist it. I just put a big ol' C clamp on the end. That'll take the crazy kinks out and leave you with a very nice, easy, cheap, durable wing.

For my money, calf tail isn't worth its hassle!!

Bucktail, deer, elk or in smaller sizes, snowshoe rabbit would be good floating hairs. Z lon antron or any synthetec fibers that you could find that float. You could even use clumps of cdc.