Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bamboo

Pontoon Boat hauling

Seems like a number of people on this list use pontoon boats. I'll assume that most of you also get tired of the assemble/disassemble cycle that accompanies most fishing trips.

I've been thinking about buying a utility trailer to haul my boat around so I can just leave it together. My wife thinks I want one to haul bark mulch, snow blowers and such but that's another story. wink.gif

Any creative ideas for hauling these boats around out there?

-Bamboo

Bamboo,

I have a 12'er and use to throw it on top of Thule bars on the Suburban. I would leave it assembled some times (less hassle). It would ride just fine up to 75mph, never tried it above that speed.

I now have an Avalanche and will be buying one of those canoe/cargo haulers that go into the trailer hitch to align with the Thule racks over the cab.

Checkout the pictures on www.dryflyfloatboats.com for additional ideas.

I hope this helps.

Pat

Actually, unless the boat hits 12' or bigger, use your vehicle for transport. Either depin the middle section (most boats should pull apart somewhere near the middle) and repin when you get to the lake/river. Or, simply throw on your roof and cinch down. If you have a car, you can either use a roof rack, or if you don't mind can simply toss on the roof. I actually have homemade mounts on my full size blazer so I can toss my boat right on the roof of almost ANY size. Here is a pic of my 16' cataraft on the roof. YES, I put this up all by myself in fact. I only use this setup when I'm going on long trips and towing the trailer. Normally, for long hauls will have the tubes off and deflated since a boat this big will put ALOT of drag while driving. LOL. But will put on with tubes on when I'm using it for short hauls or day trips. Do have a cataraft trailer for the boat that I made out of a driftboat trailer. That's what I use on my 12' or bigger boats.

user posted image

I really like mine, flyfishenvy. I just don't talk about it because they aren't too readily available anymore thanks to S.A.

That's the second set of floats on it and I upgraded while the upgrading was good to the anchor system and oar holders. The thing tracks like an arrow in rivers! It holds position facing the shore for 1/4 to 1/2 mile just by fanning with my finless wading boots.

Don't know what I'll do when this wears out (except maybe belly-ache to the 'boss' until I get a quad-hull boat!) smile.gif

yes they are very hard to find. guess that could be why i got mine at the price i did. i like it, and have made some modifications to it, with more to come in the future.

i did see one other guy with one on the PM this past steelhead season. he had his set up nice. i wish i would have taken pics of it so i could remember what to do to mine