Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
woollywilma

Cool cicada photos

gross lookin hoard of bugs! You can have em all! I don't want any part of this plague of nasty creatures of biblical proportions!

ssteve

Great photo's although they are an ugly looking bug. How's about posting that pattern??

Fatman

Great pictures, thanks for posting them!

I'm dreading getting that much bug juice off the front of my car!! mad.gif

Question #1

The photos of the natural insect are white, but the flies tied are black. Do the naturals change from white to black after they have been exposed to the air for a few hours/days?

Question #2

Would the black color indicate that the Cicada is on its last legs so to speak?

Question #3

Are there any other colors in between the white stage and the black stage?

Thanks for your help,

Chip

Good job on pics! A interesting bug once every 15 and 17 years, should fatten up all those fish a few pounds by the time its over.

nice pics...even better looking flies...been tying a secret weapon of my own after talking with an entomologist and a few other local tyers......but I don't think it really matters what the thing looks like as long as it's close!

The bugs come out of the shell white like the photos. Then, they slowly turn black and orange over a few hours. Then, they fly off. They don't fly too much untill they're ready to begin mating, a few days or so.

The females have an extended, potruding butt that usually orange sometimes black and the females are filled with fat. The males are a bit shorter and basically hollow.

I posted the pattern under warmwater species. I posted late at night and wasn't sure of the hook size. Anyway, all I tried to do was focus in on attributes of the fly that I thought the fish might key in on: Orange eyes, orange w/ black belly, wide profile, that female butt, orange legs, shiny wings with amber outlines, and of course some flash.