Fly Tying
oatka

A few crayfish

I've only ever tied up 4 crayfish. I saw a guy tie one at the local shop yesterday and I got the urge to tie up some crayfish.

these are the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th crayfish I've ever tied.

the top one is ok, the middle one i forgot the claws (the curse of tying too late at night), and the bottom one i really think turned out pretty well.

post-6177-1203869507_thumb.jpg

and a shot of the last, favorite, one.

post-6177-1203869534_thumb.jpg

The top 2 have burned mono. the guy at the shop used those, and although Day5's Kazoo Craw had just plain black eyes, I thought the burned mono ones he tied in stuck way out. When I look up real ones last night, their eyes were close to the body, so that bottom fly has normal black eyes, close to the body...but you can't really see them in the picture. Maybe his mono ones were closer, but i missed that. :dunno:

I'm in the middle of tying up a larger one. I saw one from Lake Ontario at the museum last week that was bigger than any hook i've tied on.

I tied up another one, and this one is my FAVORITE so far. I think I got the proportions down pretty good and the eyes stand out better. My 3.5 year old daughter had to tie one too, so there's a picture of hers and mine too.

post-6177-1203892959_thumb.jpg

post-6177-1203892986_thumb.jpg

a little misunderstanding there oatka, when i saw your post i thought you had bought a sack of crayfish and had a crayfish boil,

Bud

sorry for the confusion Bud. I'm from New York, and would have NO IDEA how to have a crayfish boil. I'd probably have a hard time finding a place to buy the little fellas.

Posted Today, 02:33 AM

a little misunderstanding there oatka, when i saw your post i thought you had bought a sack of crayfish and had a crayfish boil,

It's funny Bud what they call bait, we call supper

Great looking flies! Recipe?

Wonder how they'd work here in Florida?

Oatka, I intially was replying to say what a good job you did on thoose flies,but it was near noon and I was hungry.......anyway great job.

Fred

P.S. agood practice would be to join the crawfish swap

Well, they each were a little different, but basically the same.

I used lead on the underside to help the hook ride point up.

the antennae are golden pheasant tail

mono eyes

brown chenille (2 sizes, one for the body, one for the tail, that seems to help with the taper of the fly)

brown hackle at the front for legs

i used squirrel tail (thanks Wickedcarpenter) for the claws

swiss straw for the back and tail. i want to find something more durable.

wire for the rib on the tail.