Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DAVIDM

brginner swaps

does any body do swaps for beginners? or is thinking about doing one. cause iam a beginner tyer my self and the amout of some of the flies need to tie is to high for me to do. if any body is thinking of doing on let me know.

David....to answer your question the best I can....a lot of the swaps are for beginners....These are not contests...and there are rarely any high expectations of anyone...they were really meant to aid in the learning process for the beginner.The repetition of tying the same fly over and over...while sometimes may get a bit boring or tedious is great practice for the beginner... If I might make a suggestion....look for a swap where the number is low say no more than a dozen...and one that will allow you to choose a pattern that you feel somewhat comfortable with and a reasonable due date...and jump in! Start out a bit easy...and choose something simple...and focus on prportions etc....making them all look the same....you may end up needing to tie 2 dozen to come up with a dozen you feel o.k. with sending in...trust me...you become your worst critic! ,and thats o.k. ...you'll have the extra dozen for your box :D .Eventually you will become comfortable with challenging yourself more and more...and it will lead you to becoming a better tyer....which is the reason for getting in the swaps.....not just to collect flies...thats a by product... :D

So..keep your eye open...and jump in one...and have fun with it! :yahoo: