Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Neil M

Hi

Hello, some of you guys might know me if you hang out in the RBF cause I have drifted over from there. I kinda have been lurking in the photography forum for some time now, checking out all your guys handy work and I am impressed.

My dad is a photographer and I think it has rubed off on me. For the past couple years I have been doing my best work with my canon S2 IS advaced point and shoot camera, but I have been really wanting to upgrade. Luckily the tax man came with a nice refund this year and I am blessed to be able to puchase a new camera. I have been searching around and I opted to purchase the Canon 30D camera, the anticipation will kill me the next couple days as I wait for it to come in the mail but for the mean time, I just get to sit back and learn from you'all.

Anyway I just wanted to say Hi

Neil

Welcome Neil...Glad to have you here and look forward to your photos..That is a nice piece of equipment you purchased too...

Neil, welcome. The 30D is a great choice in camera. You are going to love it. I have the 40D and have looked at getting the 30D as well just because it's a nice camera for the price and it would make a great backup to my 40D. With that said, my wife still has my little King Georges in a little pouch...so it's going to be a littel while before I can get them back in order to have a set so I can buy another camera without worry :blink: Anyway, can't wait to see your pics when you get it.

Ashby

Welcome to the Photo Corner Neil - hope the new camera brings you a lot of pleasure. At the rate you guys are buying gear, I'm gonna have the oldest camera on the site pretty soon, and mine isn't even a year old yet. Come to think of it, I might already have the oldest Nikon - can any of you guys top a 34-year-old Nikkormat?

Peterjay, I almost had you. My Pentax K1000 was made in 1976, that is when my mother got it brand new. Believe it or not, it still take great pictures, it just won't sync with the flash. I should put some film in it and try it out. It's been about 6 years since I ran a roll through it.

Ashby

I can get close with my Pentax ME Super. I got it the first year they were offered and was still using it until I went to digital. I also still have my Praktica that I used before I got the Pentax but since I haven't taken a photo with it for about thirty years that probably doesn't count.

and if I can really cheat I have my grandmas Brownie that she bought sometime in the early 1930s. The best part of that is I also have all the negatives she shot going back over more than seventy years.

Sorry Peter I cant top that..I am not even 34 years old myself... ;)

Neil, welcome. The 30D is a great choice in camera. You are going to love it. I have the 40D and have looked at getting the 30D as well just because it's a nice camera for the price and it would make a great backup to my 40D. With that said, my wife still has my little King Georges in a little pouch...so it's going to be a littel while before I can get them back in order to have a set so I can buy another camera without worry :blink: Anyway, can't wait to see your pics when you get it.

Ashby

Hey Ashby,

I was debating between the 40D and 30D, dosnt seem like much of a diffrence between the 2 other then mega pixils and screen size. I really dont think that the 1.9 meg pix diffrence is that big of a deal, the biger screen would be cool but I just opted to spend less money so I could invest more cash is glass. I have a freind I work with that is into photography and he has a extra 70-200mm F/4 ''L series" lens laying around and a 18-55mm kit lens that he is selling to me for a good price :D. I planning on upgrading the kit lense when I get the money but for right now it should work great.

Also is that your bird in the back ground? (in your advatar) must be a cool mission to work. I am a Eng troop on the c130

Neil

Hey Ashby,

I was debating between the 40D and 30D, dosnt seem like much of a diffrence between the 2 other then mega pixils and screen size. I really dont think that the 1.9 meg pix diffrence is that big of a deal, the biger screen would be cool but I just opted to spend less money so I could invest more cash is glass. I have a freind I work with that is into photography and he has a extra 70-200mm F/4 ''L series" lens laying around and a 18-55mm kit lens that he is selling to me for a good price :D. I planning on upgrading the kit lense when I get the money but for right now it should work great.

Also is that your bird in the back ground? (in your advatar) must be a cool mission to work. I am a Eng troop on the c130

Neil

Neil, theres actually alot of difference between the 2 bodies. I shot with the 30D for a year and then stepped up to the 40D for a couple months. While I wasn't crazy about putting out that much more money on yet another body, it wasn't long before I knew there was no buyers remorse.

If you can stretch the budget and exchange for the 40D and still buy the glass I would. I won't start listing off the differences but the 2mp is probably the smallest of the differences.

If your budget is fixed you've made the right choice. I'm a very firm beleiver in Glass first.

As for the kit lens theres nothing wrong with it. It will serve you well as you accumulate (spend $) on other items. Then and only then replace the 18-55mm.

30D and 18-55

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Wulff, thats exactly what I was thinking, use the 18-55mm lens for a while when I get everything else (good tripod, remote actuator, more CF cards, filters, external flash, plane tickets to Alaska....) then I would go ahead and upgrade the 18-55mm

I was wondering, are the Canon Digitals compatable with older Canon lenses? If they are that might be the way to go. That is what I'm doing with my Pentax.

Jim

Well I took the camera out for the first time today since getting it I was trying to get some of those moving water shots what do you think? Criticism accepted, you cant learn without it :headbang:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Neil, yes that is my bird in my avitar, the Global Hawk. It's a pretty cool mission. I think you may have me beat on fun though being on the 130. That thing is a hoot to fly on. Good to see another mil on here. The pics look pretty good, the one is a little bright, the other looks really good. What did you end up getting?

Ashby