Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Neil M

Hi

Happy to see you're getting out with the new camera Neil. I'd say you're on the right track. The water looks pretty good, but you might have blown out some highlights in the first pic. (the intense white area) It's hard to tell from a posted image, but there doesn't seem to be any detail there. If your camera has a histogram, it will tell you when that's happening, so you can adjust your exposure. Also, it looks a bit like you weren't using a tripod. Some kind of support is necessary for the slow shutter speeds you need to smooth out the water. Otherwise, the other stuff in the frame won't be as sharp as you'd like. I like the compostitional values, especially the second pic. That's a beautiful little falls and it's really photogenic. If the place is near home, a good exercise might be to keep going back there over and over and shooting the devil out of it from various angles, under every conceivable condition. Early morning, late afternoon, hazy light, mist, etc. etc. Sooner or later, you'll hit something that really stands out and you can apply what you've learned to your next project. If I find something I like, I'll wear out a path to it until I get it right. (Hey, it could happen LOL) The woods are really drab right now, and you need some interesting light to make the image stand out. (IMHO this is the worst time of year for photography) We outdoor types can't manipulate the light the way the studio guys do, so we have to go looking for it and grab it when we find it. What may seem flat and drab one day might be pure magic the next time you see it. I think that little waterfall is a gem, and there's a great picture there if you keep at it. You seem to have a good eye. Hope this helps. PJ

canon 30D. yea the one is alitte bright, it was a sunny day and I was playing with slow shutter speeds to get the moving water effect, still working on it

I was useing a tripod but it isnt a really good one and when I go to press the button it moves alittle, I really need a good tripod and a remote release.

I definatly think your right about the time of year and the woods being really drab making it hard for a photo. But my luck has come and its spring time here in Arkansas, the trees are starting to bud and we should have some color soon. Ill probably go back next weekend to shoot some more. The creek runs into my local waters so every weekend when I go fish I can shoot if if I want.

hey Neil when did you slip into here, get back to RBF :lol:

Nice to see ya here as well, good looking shoots for the first from a new camera. Look forward to seeing what you come up with this season.

Steve

Peterjay gave some real good advice..One thing I would like to add is look into getting a screw on Neutral Density filter..That will help you get slower shutter speeds in bright conditions..

Looking good though...

When you can get a ND or CP. Both will cut the light allowing for slower shutter speeds. Id get a good CP first for use in other applications. Consider spending the money and buying a 72mm or 77mm filter and a step up ring vs a 58mm (?) that fits the 18-55.

At some point down the road, your going to buy more glass and eventually replace the 18-55. Check the dimensions of some lenses that interest you. Better lenses will be 72mm and the best lenses 77mm. Filters to fit those are considerably more expensive than the ones for 58mm. A good Hoya CP for m 24-70 (77mm)for example runs 240.00. I wont mention Singh Rays. Why buy a 58mm filter if its just going to be pitched? Or not fit other lenses. Buy the biggest you need or might reasonably need and step up rings.

Vibration caused by tripping release

Using the cameras self timer and set to 10 seconds (ori ts longest duration) should give it time to settle once you release the shutter. Thats what I did until I bought a release.

Hey Neil.

Like Mokai said, a ND filter will help in getting milky water shots. Also, as Graham would say, the histogram would be your best friend. Use that to judge whether your picture will be blown out or not.

Hi Neil, you can also use a lower ISO setting (100-200) and also I use a larger F/setting. I use like a f/18. That will also let in less light so you can leave the shutter open a little longer without blowing out the sky.

The second shot came out looking nice for this time of year.

Jim