Fly Tying
snboggs

Peccary Hairs

Here's one for you experts I suppose,

I was exploring a pattern for a realistic Stonefly and the pattern called for "collared peccary hairs" to be used for the legs. Has anyone ever heard of this material?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

snboggs

Peccary

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Collared Peccary, Tayassu tajacu

Scientific classification

Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Chordata

Class: Mammalia

Order: Artiodactyla

Family: Tayassuidae

Palmer, 1897

Species

Tayassu

Tayassu pecari

Catagonus

Catagonus wagneri

Pecari

Pecari tajacu

Pecari maximus

Peccaries (also known as javelinas and by the Spanish names, javali or pecarí) are medium-sized mammals of the family Tayassuidae. Peccaries are members of the Artiodactyl suborder Suina as are swine Suidae and hippopotami Hippopotamidae. They are found in the southwestern area of North America and throughout Central and South America. Peccaries usually measure between 90 and 130 cm in length (3 to 4 feet), and a full-grown adult usually weighs between about 20 and 40 kilograms (44 to 88 pounds).

People often confuse peccaries, which are found in the Americas, with pigs which originated in Afro-Eurasia, especially since some domestic pigs brought by European settlers have escaped over the years and now run wild in many parts of the United States. These feral pigs are popularly known as razorback hogs.

Yeah, peccary have been around for a while.

Bowfin47

P.S.

Sorry... it was too easy a softball... Actually I've had 1/2 a tanned peccary skin for about 20 years and have only used a few hairs...

p.s.s.

You DON'T want an untanned hide... been there!

It's good for antennas and quill bodys. I've used it on leggs, not great for that use.

As said, also known as boar hair. Not that many folks carry it, but you could try Mike Hogue at Badger Creek Fly Tying (http://www.eflytyer.com/). That's where I've found it before.

That is incorrect!

Peccary or better known in the US as Javelina are in NO WAY related to pigs or boars. More like a giant Guinea Pig.

I have 3 mounts on my wall and a pelt in the freezer from last years hunt. Now if only I could find a good pattern that calls for it.

IPB Image

Josh

Now if only I could find a good pattern that calls for it.

Josh

Josh,

Send snboggs some hairs and he'll send you the stonefly pattern! B)

Now if only I could find a good pattern that calls for it.

Josh

Josh,

Send snboggs some hairs and he'll send you the stonefly pattern! B)

Mine is a untanned hide that has been in the freezer for the last 8 months. These things STINK! Even with the scent gland cut off.

What part of the body do you need the hair from ? I would imagine the ridge/collar hairs ?

Josh

I'm heading to TX next week to hunt the little ghosts. I just cut some of the hairs off and put them in a baggie.

Peccary is one of my favourite materials for tailing flies. The hairs are beautifully tapered and much tougher than moose hair (the only likely replacement that comes to mind.) I have a tanned skin. Send me a PM and I will send you a patch.

Peccary hair also makes great 'quill body' type flys. The various colors can get you a wide range of fly types and the segmentation is great. It is really though to find in the fly shops.

snboggs,

I've been thinking about trying some fishable realistics. So far I've only done a few ants, which are dead simple. Care to share the stonefly pattern that calls for peccary?

I copied this from Thornes site they are in Fort Mac Alberta

Al

www.thornesmanufacturing.com

Catalogue > Fly Tying Materials > Fly Tying Hair and Furs

Peccary Hair Previous Up Next

Peccary Hair

Price: 2.69

Description

TMS Peccary Hair is #1 on Google! We got better price so our Peccary is now only $2.69 Canadian. It was $2.99 If you have Peccary pelts for sale or if you know where we can buy them, please let us know. Peccary body hair, not always easy to find. The hair that we presently have is approximately 6 inches long! Peccary is used in patterns like the "Birds Stonefly ( Antenna & Tail ) The best use we've seen is for legs. You bend them into shape and then you coat them with several layers of black nail polish. Man it looks good!

Josho,

I'm really not sure which hairs I would need. The recipe is not specific. I simply says peccary hairs. But I think you would know better than I. :D

rockworm,

I sent you a message.

Stewart,

The pattern is on www.flyangleronline.com

On the left click fly tying.

Then click Advanced tying.

Then Virtual Stonefly. That's the pattern.

DragonSpice,

Thanks!

wickedcarpenter,

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll find a substitute.

Speaking of substitutes... anybody have any ideas?