Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bhaase

Oliver Edwards Question

Hi there,

Does anyone know where I can find some of Oliver Edwards' DVD's here in the states? I was also hoping that they wouldn't be close to $50 per volume, however, that may just be the way it's got to be with the exchange rate right now.

I saw a video of him on YouTube showing how to tie a PT nymph in the Sawyer style...not only was it a great little lesson, but he also ties left-handed! This is a huge deal to me because I have a hard time following most instructions, whether in books or on a DVD, because so many tiers are right handed.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Blake

Oliver Edwards is indeed an engaging sort isn't he?? The link Old Hat provided in the last post seems to have these DVD's at decent pricing. Keep something in mind,when considering them...most of them are at least 3 hours or more in length!! The last "instructional" tying DVD I bought (which will remain nameless!)

I paid $27.00 for....and it contained 33 minutes of instruction!! Something to consider!!

Sulfernut

Thanks for the info, guys. The website that Old Hat provided seems like a valuable one. Does the "Wet Fly" DVD show how to tie flies? If not, is there one that I'm not seeing on that website that specifically deals with soft hackles and/or wets?

Thanks!

B

Thanks for the info, guys. The website that Old Hat provided seems like a valuable one. Does the "Wet Fly" DVD show how to tie flies? If not, is there one that I'm not seeing on that website that specifically deals with soft hackles and/or wets?

Thanks!

B

The entire Oliver Edwards DVD collection is at :-

http://www.essential-skills.tv/

One would hope you get enough info there to make your selection and then go to the web site

Old Hat provided links to. You might want to check the DVD region - I've seen fly fishing/tying

titles for sale here in the US that weren't region 1 - I think they assume you'll play it on your PC,

which is all fine and well, but most DVD drives only allow the region to be changed a small handful

of times, say four or so. There is a hack to go around this but I don't know if it works or not.

Having seen Mr Edwards in action in short clips from the Essentials Skills series (free CD ROM

included with UK magazine), in my opinion it may be well worth your effort - he is a great

instructor both at the bench and at the stream side.

"Wet Fly Fishing on Rivers" is just wet flies. It's on the second page of the website of DVDs. There is another with Czech nymphing, I haven't seen that one. "Wet Fly Fishing on Rivers" shows about 4 different methods of fishing them. He is not a big proponent of the swing. It also includes how to tie a bunch of classic wet flies( winged, spiders and softies). Both sections are very well done. The tying is very clear and patterns are tied with original materials and techniques of the designers. It is about 2 hours long. It is one of my favorites in my collection. I was reluctant to buy initially because of the price but it has been worth it.

I've got 4 of his videos - two on tape and 2 on DVD. In my opinion, they're worth the money. He demonstrates tying the flies listed on the DVD and also how to fish them, including the proper way to rig (for example on the Czech Nymphing video). He is entertaining to watch and I learn something everytime I watch one of his videos. The key is that after several years of owning the videos, I still keep going back and watching them as a refresher.

TxEngr

I have two of the Oliver Edwards DVDs, Wet Fly Fishing on Rivers and Upstream Nymphing and North Country Spiders. In them, he demonstrates some of the old upstream wet fly techniques. In particular, Edwards refers to this book from 1907.

The Practical Angler Or The Art of Trout-fishing More Particularly Applied to Clear Water

by W.C. Stewart.

Chapters One to Six are the most applicable and you can read them online at Google Books. http://books.google.com/books?id=7PtIAAAAIAAJ

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up purchasing the "Quick Ties and Favorite Flies" DVD from the link that Old Hat provided. If I end up really enjoying that, I imagine I'll invest in the Wet Fly edition. I'll let you know what I think after I watch it. I'm really looking forward to it.

Thanks again,

Blake

Oliver Edwards is NOT "left handed". He has NEVER been "left handed". He winds, like me in the opposite direction to the majority of tyers, but left handed, NEVER.

Over the last 40 years of being involved with fly tying, I've taught many 100's of people to tie flies. From those who have trouble tying their own shoelaces, to those who always are pushing boundaries and often exceeding them. Several of the people I've taught, and that includes those who choose to tie the way I teach them have gone on to win major international tying comps others have become qualified angling instructors, so it can't be all that wrong can it ?

I've run several masterclasses with Oliver at the head, and seen him give demo's on loads of occasions, He's stayed with me on at least one occasion, and survived my cooking. He is the consummate draftsman, meticulous in every relevant detail.

Hi all,

First of all I would like to confer with Arkle (John) that Olie Edwards is right handed and ties the thread in a reverse fashion.

I have had the pleasure of working with Olie at shows and have also been present at some of the demonstrations that Arkle has mentioned.

He is a true MASTER of tying, fishing and a tremendous instructor as he has all the skills to outline all his techniques to observers in a very understandable manner.

It is always a joy to see people like Olie spending time with tyers who wish to learn

Thanks Olie for all your input into this wonderful world of fly tying

Mike............................ B)

Arkle...perhaps I'm misinterpretting your post, however, you seem to be pretty annoyed at the left handed comment. If you are/were, I just want to remind you that this is a "Beginner's Corner" section and I am very much a beginner. To most beginners watching a video on YouTube (as I pointed out) of Oliver Edwards tying flies, I would say it's safe to assume that most would think he's left handed - NOT, a right hander who's tying "in the opposite direction of the majority of tyers." I've obviously made a mistake and I appreciate your pointing that out to me. I'm still excited to recieve my DVD and I look forward to posting my review.

Blake

Blake, Sorry if you though my reply was a trifle ott, I was getting wound up as either the internet connection or the site would not let me load my thread; in fact I tried and lost it at least three times. ( Come on Bill Gates, get your act together............ Will it ever happen, I doubt it )

Oliver's flies are masterpieces, even the couple of rejects he gave me, I've not seen the d.v.ds, well, only a couple of "freebies" that were on a magazine cover. I loaned my copies of these out to someone some time ago so can't recall the content. It could even be the same as the Youtube ones.

If you really want to follow his style of dressing, then look out for a copy of his book "Fly Tyer's Masterclass" you will then see what i mean by the phrase "consumate draftsmen" every fibre is clearly shown. Some of the materials he used around that time are no longer available, though there are in most cases good subs. available. You may well need deep pockets though as 1st's (signed ones) have sold recently for $550+ Look out for the spiral bound later edn, much cheaper and easier to work from!

Although it's not really classed as a "beginners book" I know of at least one guy who had never tied a fly before buying it, and he intro'd himself to Oliver whilst we were chatting at a Game Fair, 1996 I think, his flies were amazing, if fact Oliver said, genuinely that they were "identical" and if you put one of each next to each other he would find it virtually impossible to tell them apart.

As a fly tying exercise it provides you with a wide, but not total range of invaluable techniques that will be useful for his style of patterns. However NO book, d.v.d / whatever will ever teach you all you will want to know. That is where this and other forums and fly tying groups/classes come in, They will show you what has worked for other anglers in your area who fish the same waters etc that you are or will. You will soon find that it's not always neccercery to spend up to an hour tying a fly, casting it and loosing it in a tree before it touches the water.

Often trout aren't always as educated as the ones Oliver fishes for and simpler patterns will work at least as well. The joy with Oliver's approach is it works almost all of the time and under most conditions, it's also very rewarding indeed to have put a lot of time and effort into a pattern, especially if you've designed it or modified it yourself to suit your local conditions and find it works when nothing else does!

Barnes Wallace, the famed WW" areo engineer was once quoted "Simplicate and add lightness"

simple phrase, profound reasoning

John

Thanks for the clarification, Arkle. You've certainly made me even more excited to recieve this DVD and learn more about Mr.Edwards and his flies. The book you mentioned, while extremely expensive, sounds like a good bit to watch out for in second hand shops and the like. I picked up another book (in fact, I think I learned about it on this website as well), Leisenring and Hidy's The Art of Tying the Wet Fly, for quite a steal on-line. Just one more angling-related thing to buy!

Thanks again,

Blake