Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JayMorr

The Art of Materials

I am a little confused and hoping someone can help clarify something. I have a Nikon D50 and the only reversing rings I can find will reverse the lens on to the body, but what was explained requires 2 lenses to be placed face to face and unless I am missing something that can not be done with a normal reversing ring. Would that not take a ring that has filter threads on both sides so that the lenses can be attached face to face. Is this a correct assessment or did I miss something of great importance.

Hi Group,

John, thanks for the explanation on reverse macro; it was most informative. I've also done some macro shooting using a regular lense with a "reversing ring" on my old Nikon F. I don't know if that is called "reverse macro" or not but I didn't have to use a macro lense in the mix. My setup of course looses any "auto" features but I never had any to worry about that ability with my old Nikon. It doesn't even have a light meter let alone any auto features.

Jay, before you buy any older lenses I'll be happy to loan you a couple if you think it would help. I could bring them to Idaho Falls. If you are interested, you have my email. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Heres a decent thread on the subject.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/600108

Heres the short answer from that thread.

If you have a 50mm lens (52mm filter) you need a 52mm-58mm macro coupling ring like this http://cgi.ebay.com/52mm-58mm-Macro-Couple...712260829a43534

Just two male filter threads enabling you to reverse the 50mm lens onto your 105mm macro lens. That will give you a max mag of 3:1. With a set of Kenko ext tubes on as well you can get to 4:1. The reversed lens is used wide open and focus set on infinity.

Brian V.

Hi Group,

John, thanks for the explanation on reverse macro; it was most informative. I've also done some macro shooting using a regular lense with a "reversing ring" on my old Nikon F. I don't know if that is called "reverse macro" or not but I didn't have to use a macro lense in the mix. My setup of course looses any "auto" features but I never had any to worry about that ability with my old Nikon. It doesn't even have a light meter let alone any auto features.

Jay, before you buy any older lenses I'll be happy to loan you a couple if you think it would help. I could bring them to Idaho Falls. If you are interested, you have my email. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I appreciate the offer Al. Bring a couple of them to the Show and I will test them out on a couple of your flies when you are tying. That would be a fun experiment.

Will..thanks for your reply. Man I just saw your latest bug work WOW. Nice job.

Wulff,

Thank you for the link and clarification, if does help when one knows what to look for. I just have to figure out which lenses I want to couple for the best results so I know what rings to order, although they are inexpensive enough to just get an assortment.