Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

prefered method PART II

This is kind of a follow up to the first post but i'm starting to gain more intrest fishing the entire cycle of a hatch so i also wanted to pose this question to everyone.

In the complete cycle of a hatch....nymph/emerger/dun/spinner what do you feel is the most important form of the insect for the fly fisherman?

SD

Steve it depends on the hatch its self.Take for example caddis.Because the fly it self comes off the water so fast most larger trout will not seek them out.So i would have to say a emerger or cripple would be better for that,When hex seasons rolls around i would say toward the start of the hatch emerger early then dun.The best thing i can say is you have to play with what works best for the given bug.

Really good question!

Based on my experiences not only will it very by bug it will even very greatly by stream and/or region. Like he said in MI it seems like like the larger fish don't mess with an adult caddis with any regularity but you flip that around to PA or out west it's very different. We had outstanding days on caddis sz 18-22 in Yellowstone with the average fish being 16"+ and while in PA the avg size wasn't like that my one buddy and I have caught a number of 14-18" fish on them over the years. Generalizations will be the best you can really take from this one. smile.gif