Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
netabrookie

What do I feed the fish?

The foundation of the old building I rent has a small stream flowing right by it and it is full of little fish. I feed them a lot of junk food and they love it. Potato chips don't get attacked as much as brownies do :D I am wondering if there is actually something that I could give them occasionaly other than part of my lunch.

Whatever I toss them needs to sink because the water is flowing so fast that floating stuff like cereal or dog food just heads on by them and goes to the river which is only a few hundred yards away. To get into my shop you have to cross a bridge and sit on it until the garage door is open, and the door made for people has a hand rail beside it so you wont fall into the creek, so I can't help but see the little fellows down there just waiting for a hand-out. Any ideas would be welcome because its fun to just relax for a few and feed the fish sometimes.

Take Care,

they sell a sinking catfish food also Koi food if you can find it .and you can roll a pinch of bread and it will sink.

I love feeding fish also. There is nothing more relaxing than sitting on my dock and watching the fish .

Canned corn seems to be a fish favorite...Make certain no-one fishes that hole or you might get busted for chummin. We used a peice of net wraped around tube worm cubes and a rock to keep them at the bottom of aquariums. You might try something similar just watch that the size of net isn't big enough to snare and hurt the fish. Tie on a peice of string to recover it and refill. I have seen boxes made of screen for the same ting. 1/4 inch mesh would work on dog food.

Thanks for the replies fellows. I never thought of actually placing something in the water with the food inside. Sort of like a baited minnow trap without the trap part :) The little stream/creek is only about 5 or 6 feet wide where it goes under the bridge and I think the little fish are only minnows and chubs, but they need to eat too. I have been doing this for a while now. Last summer I gave them everything from popcorn to cookies, but only the biggest ones would chase the floating stuff. Oh well, I guess part of me will never grow up.

Take Care,

Oh well, I guess part of me will never grow up.

and there is nothing at all wrong with that :headbang: :D

If you have a farm and fleet by your hous they sell a huge 50lb bag for 10 bucks. Thats what i feed my fish in the pond behind my house. I think its called Aqua Feed.

Only Probelem is it floats, but its worth a try.

Good Luck,

Dan The Man