Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
VERN-O

open for comments

don't know anything about salmon,but I'm a sucker for anything tied on those elegent shaped blackened hooks. Beautiful flies ,nicley tied.

These are awesome, I really like your soft hackle/spider style

with the ice dub bodys, Very fishy.

Cheers,

Speyman

Hey Vern-o,

I like them a lot, but I will give some advice on the flies so you can be mroe aware of what you are doing.

- great body taper, that looks really sharp! I dont usually do this but you make it look really good.

- as for the head, I prefer a much smaller head and usually only do a couple turn whip finish to hold it down then give it a few coats of head cement or laquer.

- Depending on the style you want, the collar should be a smaller. If you are going for that soft hackle look, which your flies do very well, then you have it down. If you are wanting a collar then they hackle should be smaller. I prefer a smaller collar that is fairly thick, which will show off the body.

- On materials where the ribbing will dig in, I like to use a wide oval tinsel or a flat tinsel. Mostly I tie my bodies very tight and use a fine oval tinsel for the ribbing.

You've got it good there, just some personal preferences that I like to add in.

anyways beauty flies

Looking good man! Post some more!

Phil

thanks for the comments all around....yeah I'm a sucker for soft hackle style....plus the guinea fowl hackles I have are mostly on the long side....greatly appreciated

thanks for the comments all around....yeah I'm a sucker for soft hackle style....plus the guinea fowl hackles I have are mostly on the long side....greatly appreciated

one those are awesome

two have you ever tried pheasant rump feathers from a ring neck pheasant and used it as hackle like soft hackle or guinea fowl. gives that natural brownish look i love with a little shimmer from the feathers natural iridescent huge. any ways thought i would see if other use this feather any ways good luck and awesome flies.........

Rhino,

Thats a good tip, I like wrapping it as a collar and pulling down as a throat! Good call man!

Although my supply of pheasant rump feathers is long gone, long gone.

phil

Rhino,

Thats a good tip, I like wrapping it as a collar and pulling down as a throat! Good call man!

Although my supply of pheasant rump feathers is long gone, long gone.

phil

make a great spey hackle to and it come in tons of colors i like the skins best not only do you get the rump but other feathers as well for other fun stuff any ways here is a link to sum

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/N...asant-Skin.html

Hi Vern-O.

Great ties.

If you want to try to shorten the hackle with the guinea you can tie in the hackle (before your body materials) back from the hook eye the desired length to shorten. Then sweep them forward over the eye and wrap it with thread just up behind the eye. Tie your body as normal, then push your hackle out a bit when you tie your head. Not as natural looking as normal, but works when you only have long hackled feathers to work with.

old hat that sounds very interesting...so wrap the hackle and push the fibers over the hook eye and wrap down with thread where I would whip finish in the end.....tie the rest of the fly....fold fibers back over (now toward the bend of the hook)....build a neat head and whip finish???