Fly Tying

Dobson Flies

Thanks Guy's! Besides fishing and a couple other activities there's nothing I'd rather do than help my vise crank out bugs. I freaked when I saw the Dobson fly picture this morning and while doing the Saturday morning honey-do's I was thinking of how to try and imitate that fly and I knew it had to float. I used pecary for those wierd long thingies sticking out sideways from behind the head. The pincers are partridge, mini pincers are plastic, beads for eyes, raffia painted with a blend of solftex and pearlescent pigment powder touched up with markers for the wings. Luckily the wing material was already made from my previous attempt at tying a moth. It's really strong stuff for wings and was easy to cut both pices with scissors. It took about 30 minutes to tye it, next one will take less time. Honestly, anyone can tye these fly's, just takeing your and not being in a rush is key. I took a pepsi break half way through tying it. I also keep my fingers limber, while sitting at my desk I rotate a pen through the fingers from pinkie to index and back, like a drummer does. I learned this from a buddy who's a drummer, it really helps. Should I do a step by step with pictures when I tye the next one? Might be wotrth adding to the pattern database.

Graham,

Some guys just see things in a different dimension. You're one of them. Such creativity and knowledge of materials and their characteristics.

May I touch the hem of your garment? headbang.gif

That's one of them "swatin' flies". laugh.gif

Thank you Shoe, I really don't know what to say except that I have fun with this tying thing. Here's my second attempt at a dobson fly, didn't put plastic over the foam on the abdomen and added some hackle between the legs. Also liked the idea of the pincers shredding a small bug. Yes..I know it's highly unlikely a Dobson on land would be eating a mayfly nymph, but I'm havin fun.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Man you HAVE to do a step by step of that one day. You ought to email me the pics and write up for it and I will make it a featured fly on the site. If your interested my email is [email protected] if your interested wink.gif

Wow, thanks SmallieHunter, I'll do it this week.

Shoe, What you said yesterday really made my day today and pushed me to try and tye something really unusual, like the Dobson fly above. If you want, PM your address and I'll send you the Dobson-Mayfly above.

Graham

Hi Becky, Awsome website, checked out lots of great stuff, couldn't find a dobson fly? But the flies you show are amazing! Thanks for the link.

Hi appalachian angler (tn.), Honestly, my sole purpose for tying flies is have fish catching flies in my boxes. I think my first attempt at a dobson fly looked cooler with plastic over the foam abdomen, but I wory about water becomming trapped inside this encapsulation. I think it also looked better with picked out fuzzy dubbing instead of the hackle. I know what changes I'll make on my next attempt but it will things that will give me more confidence that this fly will perform on the water. However, I've never seen dobson flies floating around, but I look forward to drifting these beasts.

Graham

Hi Graham

It's the Dobsonfly larva (Hellgramite with a Stonefly nymph). Thought you might be interested since we do a series of flies called "Catch and Keep". They all have captured prey.

Hey Graham those are great looking flies. The Dobson's up here are totally different looking with a double wing but they are as nasty grown up as in the hellgramite state. I've caught a few in my hand when I've seen them flying about and they want to take a bite out you. I'll see if I can find a pic of one.

Ken cool.gif

Hi Becky,

Oh my God...those are the most realistic flies I've ever seen and the frogs are incredible. Well, I know now that my fly capturing a fly is not a first, thanks again for the web link. I'll be keeping an eye on that site for cool ideas, some real artistic talent over there.

Graham

QUOTE (Graham @ Dec 18 2004, 04:24 PM)
Hey SmallieHunter,

I just had to make an attempt to try and tie that fly. Here's a few pictures of my first one. Now I know what to tie for my Creative pattern for the contest. I need to tie a bunch more to refine these. This one looks OK, heads kinda crowded.

user posted image

crying.gif I give up. I'm not tying any more flies!!!

Damn, that's one fine tie! You have some serious tying chops and I'm jealous!!!

Joe C.