Fly Tying
Fred H.

macro photography

post-11886-1214965953_thumb.jpghopefully you will see two pics. the one I firstposted and the second edited on Picasapicasabackground.bmpPictures or of a live spider and a fly. uh oh dont know what I did wrong .need to learn how to use this program.

Very cool photos, Fred. Now I can see the details of your fly and the real spider. It's hard to tell them apart. :D

The two additional images you posted are in .BMP (bit mapped) format with tend to be very large files. Does your camera shoot in .BMP formate? If yes, you may want to see if there is a setting to shoot in .JPG (JPEG) format, which gives will give you smaller file sizes. My camera only shoots in JPG and RAW format. I tend to shoot in JPG format to reduce the size of the files.

to tell you the truth if it not taking quality pics go with another camera only if you can not get a adapter ring for your camera you got now mine take from 3.9 inch to 6.6 foot in wide angle macro mode but see these lenses are ground a certain way i think but not sure. mite want to try a magnifying glass and see how the pic come out threw it i have heard story of it working. and are you down loading from a 1 gig card and having to wait about a hour to do so if so try a 512 or a 256 mega bite card my little hp camera take about 35 minutes because of the card to down load if it's from your computer to the web. it the connection you will need broad band service to even down load any thing so it does not take forever so if you can get broad ban then that the only way i do it so that all i can suggest any ways good luck and tight lines rhino...................

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/support/Service...scucatid=664271

One thing I did not see mentioned is to use a tripod. You can buy mini (table-top) tripods pretty cheap most places. Also use the shutter release timer. Using these 2 things will eliminate any camera shake.

Fred,

Thanks for posting an example. The biggest issue that I can see is that your lighting is way off. I posted an example of some minor corrections. I hope this will help as you can see the lighting made a big difference in the photograph that you posted:

IPB Image

Tripod as mentioned will help. Making some minor light corrections will ensure proper exposure. Keep em coming!

Fred,

A DSLR (not dlsr, my mistake) is a Digital single lens reflex camera which is another discussion in itself and I in no means am implying your camera will not work. Based on the specs and your photos it looks like it will do the job as long as you are happy with it. As far as photo editing software there is Photo Shop Elements ($99) a scaled down version and there are other software. I have found the software helpful.

Very cool picture and spiders! My recommendation would also be to experiment with the light. You could add a light on the right to fill in the dark area. You can buy clip on lights and different types of bulbs (including daylight) at a hardware store for a few dollars. Regular lamps will do as well.

For flies perhaps shoot it in a vise or prop it up on piece of wood. Also try shooting it at eye level or from the sides. A tripod is a great suggestion and almost a must. For real bugs but them in container and then in the freezer for about 5 or 10 minutes to sedate them enough to get the shot.

I noticed the focus is off toward the front of the image around the legs. I can’t tell if it is motion or focus.

Check your camera manual regarding shutter speed and motion and aperture for depth of field (image sharpness).

If the white board you are using is flexible bend it up and secure it so you have a seamless background. That will help eliminate any distracting background.

I have found macro photo much like fly tying.. artistic, research, experimenting, adjusting and until you are happy with it. It can be overwhelming but when you get it, it will be second nature and enjoyable (or frustrating :D ) as tying can be. The effort is worth it.

Best of Luck

Wow ,great tips all. Thanks everyone please continue to add anything ya'll think I need to know.

IPB Image

if thats how good your camera take pic's then do not get a new one as for lighting try a full spectrum florescent bulbs in the room your in my light holder will hold 3- 60 watt bulbs and i went to a 100 watt equivalent florescent full spectrum that uses 36 watts perfect light and i am saving money it either a full spectrum or natural day light bulbs you need having a high cri index of like 100 give off a lot of glare but a cri of 70 does not which if you notice walking out of a hall way in to a drafting lab it brighter because they use full spectrum bulbs so they can see precise lines but those bulb give off a lot of glare this is were tungsten comes in any ways tungsten is best but very expensive does not have the glare effects of the florescent bulbs you can get full spectrum bulbs at lowes home depot wall mart etc.. but make sure they say full spectrum 6500k or better having a low k number does not give off enough light for digital photos i find any ways good luck and tight lines rhino..........................

http://www.eoslightingllc.com/fluorescent/...lo-ezlite/1050/

the link above is of a photo set up note the bulbs they use. They use the same bulbs found at this link below which can be found al wall marts lowes homedepot k mart meijers some sears etc… for a couple of bucks photo tens are another good option to for losing shadows by the way these bulbs will work awesome in the fly ting room if the switched room light has 3 -- 60 watt receptacles that take a screw in florescent any ways good luck and tight lines rhino…………..

http://www.1000bulbs.com/26-Watt-Compact-Fluorescents/30933/

btw people do not know what kind of bulbs they are in the kit and end out paying the 450 for one of those lights kits