Fly Tying

Ooo, a bug!

Time to break out the big flies! I found this character (and two others) hovering near the lights in our covered parking area at work last night at midnight. They closely resemble this Hex, but the dorsal markings are completely separated, more like individual stripes, and the "tails" and legs were the exact same shade as the abdominal belly, which matches the Hex color at the link. Also the tails were almost exactly the same length as the body. The thorax had just slighter brown shading than the abdomen, and the legs had no markings.

I know it's a fuzzy phone pic, but with this description can anybody ID these guys?

post-63-1215701051_thumb.jpg

post-63-1215701063_thumb.jpg

The link to the Hex pic didn't work for some reason, so here it is again.

From the pic it looks, to me, to be Ephoron Leukon a.k.a "White Fly". I could be mistaken, though. Did it have really long tails? I got into a hatch of those on French Creek last year that made it hard to breathe. They started coming off right at dark and as I was wading out, it sounded like a locust swarm. They were behind my glasses, in my ears, down my shirt, I think I ate one. IT WAS CRAZY! They're pretty big bugs, as well. Don't know, that's my story. -Jamie

Check out the link to TroutNut that's under the pictures. It looked exactly like that except for the dorsal stripes. On the one I saw the stripes were completely separated all the way up the body.

don't forget there is going to be some individual variation in the markings even among members of the same species. Kind of like how no two people look exactly alike- well not always to that degree, but you get the point.

Mark, ive been seeing them arround too, Im currently working at a power plant on the Ohio river near the pa/wv/ohio line. They might be a drake or a hex. Ive seen em on the Mon too, arround Elizabeth pa.

They are definately not the white fly.

Hi Maybe these recent pics I took will help

There are a lot of variations in color/size depending upon what stage the adults are at. There are also a couple of different Hex species with variation between them.

Male Hex Spinner-

IPB Image

Female hex -

IPB Image

and with a little transmitted light to accentuate the subtle colors-

IPB Image

hope that helps

Will

That female is extremely close, great picture Will! I just realized though, that if you check out the Hex in the rotating ad for the new issue of "Hatches", that fly matches the one I saw almost exactly! Just watch as the ad flips pics, and it'll come up. After seeing Will's pics here, I'm wondering if what Atroutbum2 and I are seeing is the females.

And yeah, definitely not the White Fly. White Flies are actually White and pretty unmistakable! :)