Fly Tying
Fred H.

Photo shop

I found Adobe photo shop stater edition on my new computer. As I only use this camera and computor for my fly pictures is there any reason to upgrade to the elements version? are there any features on the element versions that would be useful for editing macro fly images?

Hi Fred, Adobe classifies the starter package for casual shooters and elements for the photography enthusiasts. http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/ps_pse_co...glance=1#casual .

I have not used the starter version but I wathced the demo and it seems very basic, to help organize and fix common problems, i.e. red eye. It almost seems to me that the software that comes with Microsoft Windows or Apple computers would be more useful to correct other problems such as brightness, contrast even auto-adjust.

I use the Windows Photo Gallery in Windows Vista and Photoshop Elements and they have served my needs for all my photo editing needs, basic and advance, respectively. What I find I am doing more with the macro photos is auto adjusting the light and they both do that.

I say try the starter and built in software first and see if it fills your needs before spending the money but if you do buy Elements, that will fill all your photo editing needs and then some.

Good luck.

Don't forget about the freeware, try the Gnu Image Manipulation Program, at www.gimp.org

I have used that for my photo editing for some time, it even has the ability with a plug-in to work on raw files, and it has abou 90% of the functionality of photoshop, with 0 of the cost.

Don't forget about the freeware, try the Gnu Image Manipulation Program, at www.gimp.org

I have used that for my photo editing for some time, it even has the ability with a plug-in to work on raw files, and it has abou 90% of the functionality of photoshop, with 0 of the cost.

Anyone else use GIMP? Thoughts about the ease of use for someone whose main exposure to photo editing comes from the bundled software on his laptop? Thoughts about it in general?

-PK

Anyone else use GIMP? Thoughts about the ease of use for someone whose main exposure to photo editing comes from the bundled software on his laptop? Thoughts about it in general?

-PK

I use Gimp on my main (linux) computer, adobe photoshop, macromedia firefox on a second win2k machine, and while Hardihead is right about Gimp having 90% of Photoshop's functionality, unfortunately it also has about 10% of Photoshop or Fireworks usability and slickness - its user interface is infamous. But the price is right, and it can do many tasks, although I haven't figured out how to mask out a background yet. :)

I've used both GIMP and Photoshop. I have GIMP at work because it's free, but I prefer Photoshop. I don't understand how everything works in GIMP, but that's just because I haven't used it as much. For simple tasks, GIMP seems to work fine, but when it comes time to really get the job done, I use Photoshop.

*opens door, pushes Fred to the passenger seat*

Sorry, Fred, this is a thread-jacking... :o

So, which version of Photoshop would you feel to be the best overall considering price, features, and ease of use - in that order.

My take is that if you are going to invest the money into a full version of Photoshop, get the latest version. At least get CS and above. I have used most all of them now and I am currently using CS3.

You can also download a free 30 day trial of CS3 from Adobe. You should give it a shot.

You can also download a free 30 day trial of CS3 from Adobe. You should give it a shot.

I saw that on download.com yesterday. I'm just not sure how long it would take to download at 45.2kbps.... :bugeyes:

I've got a source who has a connection at a computer training company, where I might take a few classes to try it out. :ph34r: