Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Fly rod surprise

I was at one of the local sorting goods shop here on friday because i needed a small plastic container and thought a cheap small fly box would work for what i needed.

As i was looking for the boxes i coulnd't help but give a look over to their rod selection (why do we HAVE to look at the rods anytime we go in a store?!) sence i have been thinking of getting a 5wt.

The first rod i picked up was a St.Croix pro graphite that felt pretty good in the hand,the next rod i picked up felt just as good as the St.Croix IMO and i actually thought it felt a bit smoother in the hand for some reason. Now its hard to get a feel for a rod without actually casting it but it "felt" good going through the motion in the store.

So anyways i thought to myself this must be another St.Croix or perhaps even a reddington for around $100 so i looked at the tag on the rod and couldn't believe the brand&price unsure.gif

It was a....................

I'l post what it was later i want to see if anyone mentions it before i say what it was wink.gif

Point of the story i admit i am a "bit" of a brand name snob when it comes to rods but i was totally impressed with the rod for the price and the name,whats the lowest cost rod you have ever picked up/owned that you really liked but didnt want anyone to know what it was? laugh.gif wink.gif

SD

Fenwick, their HMX rods are surprisingly high quality for the price. I got a 5 wt. a while back to leave up in the NC house for emergencies and liked it a lot. I'm thinking about it being my primary bass rod, but I think it would do well from pan fish to small bonefish.

Pflueger medallist 7' 4 wt ~ $45 a dozen years ago and many fish later its in storage for my 8 yr old to start with. After changing the grip & reel seat my Cabelas stowaway is a close second.

Pflueger or a TFO. I've been impressed with what I've seen from both of them. Knowing our luck he's going to come back with Berkley, or Shimano!!!

Art

Give that man a cigar biggrin.gif

It was a cortland fair play and was only $39.99

I never have cared a whole lot for the cortland rods but i have to say i was very suprised at how nice it felt and was actually very tempted to buy it for that price!

SD

Let me put in a good word for TFO rods. For the money, I think that they are among the best bargains out there today.

Here's a bit of trivia. Who made cortland's first graphite fly rods for them? I only know this answer, because one of my customers was the graphite designer for this rod company. biggrin.gif

LOL. Give that man a CEE GARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. biggrin.gif Not bad. Yup, Lami made their first rods. I have a customer who now makes gourmet mayonaise in a farming community I deliver in that's rural. He's a damned smart guy, and does it in his retirement. One day while making a delivery, he wanted me to bring some packages down to his shop. OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!! I nearly collapsed when he opened the door. The room was filled, and I mean FILLED with lamiglas rods. Baitcasting, spinning, fly, you name it. Most were the older models (and he had some glass rods too). Started talking to him, and he told me the story. He was a scientist, and was the one who did all the mixing and technical layouts on how the rods were to be designed. He started blabbing in talk that went WAY over my head. I got the gist of it though. Pretty much certain setups would make a rod super strong, but not sensitive. Some setups would snap with slight pressure. But he was able to keep alot of the first production rods. Then, as I was looking, I found a TON of Cortland rods. He then said that Lami used to make them originally. Not sure if they still did, but used to. Funny thing, if you look at the cortland blanks even to this day, they look like a G1000 Lami blank.

Well J D there just ruined my fun. j_k.gif