Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
purolohi kalastaja

Watermarks?

Well as I am an englishman.........I was going to say...................but then again I decided to keep >>>> :baby: :P

Mike........................................ B)

Well as I am an englishman.........I was going to say...................but then again I decided to keep >>>> :baby: :P

Mike........................................ B)

That's right. I forgot, we speak American here, not English. :hyst:

Hi purolohi kalastaja,

I've had the good fortune to have JayMorr help me learn digital editing over the last several months and I'm fairly sure he uses Lightroom to place his watermarks. It's under Output Settings panel - info copied here from the Lightroom Help menu:

"In the Output Settings panel, select Add Copyright Watermark"

I think Vito also uses that program but I don't know that for sure. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Thanks, Al. I'll look into that program. I've got a couple photos from a recent trip that I would consider "publishable material" (at least as good as some I've seen in magazines, anyway :P ) so I'm also looking into what I should do for that issue. I'll add Lightroom to that list.

-PK

I have never watermarked a photo of mine. At this point, anyone is welcome to steal them. Can small, low resolution photos be used for a magazine? I maybe be ignorant on this one, but I would assume no. I'm also assuming such photos could not be altered/edited to fit print criteria for a magazine.

I have never watermarked a photo of mine. At this point, anyone is welcome to steal them. Can small, low resolution photos be used for a magazine? I maybe be ignorant on this one, but I would assume no. I'm also assuming such photos could not be altered/edited to fit print criteria for a magazine.

From the sampling I just did, most magazines want around 300dpi in order to do a full-size page, which, it appears, evens out to about 2550 x 3300. That's about 8 MegaPixels. So, the one I shot would probably not cut it, unless they wanted to run it as a 1/4 page, as it was shot at 3072 x 2304.

It sure looks good on the wall, though. :P

Matt, it doesn't hurt to assume that anything you post online will be stolen by somebody, somewhere. (Remember Graham's "intelligent design" grasshoppers?) Keeping your images small and low-rez helps, but if somebody wants them, they'll take them. Watermarks can be cloned out fairly easily unless they're huge and obscure most of the image. About the only drawback to the digital age is that thieves have an easier time of it these days. After having a bunch of prints stolen by a "high-end" gallery that vanished into the mists, my policy is not to trust anybody.

my policy is not to trust anybody.

And that's a good policy. I guess I never thought of someone stealing my photos for their own personal gain, mostly because I don't believe my photos are good enough for that. I figured at worst someone might use one as a desktop and that's just fine with me. If photography was my profession or a source of income, I would definitely watermark every one and use caution when posting online.

my policy is not to trust anybody.

mostly because I don't believe my photos are good enough for that.

:blink: :blink:

Have you looked at your photos lately? I'm always impressed by the composition of your images.

Well thanks. I guess it's because I see top notch photos on here and I don't put myself on par with those. I always feel like I have so much to learn and a long way to go.

Hey guys. Sorry it has taken me time to see this and post. I just got back from vacation. Catch up is always fun ;)

To answer some questions that have been asked:

I create watermarks using CS3 (Photoshop). Watermarks can be created using a multitude of programs. I use photoshop and feel CS3 is top dawg when it comes to photo editing software.

Once I create the watermark, I use Lightroom and also Photoshop to batch edit my photos. To be honest I rarely use Light Room with watermarks. Most of my stuff is all done using an "Action" I have recorded and created within Photoshop. I import a bunch of photos using batch settings and I can run an action on my photographs that will auto add watermarks, crop photos to a certain size, add frames, etc etc.

My latest watermark was designed in Adobe Illustrator because I wanted a vector image of the watermark so I could scale it up or down in size. I hope that helps answer some questions.

PS. the © symbol is created by holding down the ALT button and entering 0169 at the same time. ©©©© ;)

JayMorr©

I'm also assuming such photos could not be altered/edited to fit print criteria for a magazine.

While playing around today, I was able to increase a photo from 1280x760 to 8000x6000. Not sure if that's what you meant or not, but it sure seemed to increase the print quality of the photo. :dunno:

Watermarking your photos is like having an alarm system for your house (but free). It wont stop a pro, it will stop some (but not all) kids looking for a quick score but importantly it limits the "damage". With your house and an alarm screaming they know they have time to grab the obvious and get out, they dont have the time to clean you out, find hidden stuff.

The best thing you can do is reduce the size of the files you upload. While anyone who wants to go through the trouble of altering it can still do so, they are really limited to only using the photos themselves on the web.

Small files like 800x500 and under 400kb dont print very well as anything larger than a 4 X 6. Any web based stock agency would flat out reject a submission of that size. The editors I send photos to won't accept aything thats not printable as less than an 10 x 8 and at 300 dpi.

So by downsizing files and watermarking you've limited who and what can be done with it.

Dont fool yourself, theres alot of ripoff occurring.

Not long ago I was reading a thread on some forum that had found a person who was ripping photos from people and entering them in web based photography contest, winning small cash prizes. We all remember Grahams thread.