Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cbinwindsor

A few for the weekend...

I admit, I tie flies that I like to tie and that I can do with the materials I have readily available. I'm not one to hunt for exotic feathers. I do on occasion try to immitate something and do take advice and tie for a hatch but for the most part my flies end up being easy ties that may or may not catch fish. Here are a few for the weekend. Let me know what you think. I intend to fish all of these on the swing.

IPB Image

Saw this fly in Easter Woods and Waters and loved it. Just chicken feathers, bucktail, dubbing, tinsel, thread and a hook. I think it was labelled a black ghost if I recall.

IPB Image

Hex buggers in size 8. When I discovered these I knew they would catch fish. It's been a VERY slow season for me and to be honest I've only caught a couple bass on them but they look great in the water and are a breeze to tie so I've got a bucnch.

IPB Image

Same fly on a 1/0 short shank hook just in case they want a meal instead of a snack.

IPB Image

I thought these mght work for Salmon if there were any in the river. Good contrast in what is pretty much a woolly bugger. Added the bead chain eyes for no other reason than I like the way they look (alright....bad joke) :@

IPB Image

Same in orange. Probably makes no difference.

IPB Image

Now I'm very interested to see what happens with this one. I wanted a dry fly that I could swing and I thnk these will do. Three layers of foam and a sharpie-sized clump of deer hair should push some water and stay a float a while. Rubber legs added just 'cause. It's about 1.5" long on a Daiichi 2461 streamer hook. the hooks are of a fine wire and make excellent chernobyl ant hooks.

CB

Nice job with your flies. Your foam fly resembles the gurglers that I have been tying. I've been using different colors of foam , legs, body material and hair. Really mixing them up, and the bass and gills seem to like them. I use #4 and 6 light weight hooks.

Have a good one

Pat Carroll

very nice.i can save you the trouble if you just send them to me.steelhead season will be here in a couple months,i'll let you know how they work.tight lines.