Fly Tying
Dart

The Royal Family Swap

Jeff:

My Flies will be done today and will be in the mail on Monday. It has been pretty rocky, but this is the most satisfying swap I have done so far. My level of proficiency has been put to the test. This is also the first swap where I paid close attention to every detail. I went so far as to use calipers to map the photo in the Hatches article to get the proportions right and then I built a scale to lay out each fly! ( Those stir sticks from Starbucks really come in handy. They also make good bases for dubbing brushes when you add some Velcro.)

Thanks to everyone for the slack to let me tie you a set as well as I am able.

Frank Koterba aka Student4evr

Jeff:

My Flies will be done today and will be in the mail on Monday. It has been pretty rocky, but this is the most satisfying swap I have done so far. My level of proficiency has been put to the test. This is also the first swap where I paid close attention to every detail. I went so far as to use calipers to map the photo in the Hatches article to get the proportions right and then I built a scale to lay out each fly! ( Those stir sticks from Starbucks really come in handy. They also make good bases for dubbing brushes when you add some Velcro.)

Thanks to everyone for the slack to let me tie you a set as well as I am able.

Frank Koterba aka Student4evr

ps: I'm not sure what happened but this is my 2nd submission of this post.

Sounds good, Frank. I'll be keeping an eye out for them in a day or two. I still haven't received a response from JonG though. Hopefully he'll come through for us although it's looking bleak.

Dart,

I'm extremely curious to see the final results from your swap. I know i'm just a nosey onlooker, but my curiosity is getting the best of me! :D If it's not too much trouble, would it be possible to see a pic of the set once complete? Thank you.

Yup. A picture will be up soon. I'm just walking in the door about 10 minutes ago from visiting my family for our belated Christmas. We had snow waiting on us when we got back! That's exciting for us since we never see snow.

I still haven't heard from JonG, but I do have a generous offer from JustinDavis via PM.

I don't know if you would be interested, or if everyone else would be game.

But if you gave me until Feb 1, I could tie up the "14 Wet Royal Coachman's" and then over-night them on the 2nd of Feb.

That way everyone would get the full set.

Let me know what you think. All I would need to do is get a package of the 3399's and I'd be laughing.

I hate to drag this swap out even longer since it's been going on since Sept 29, but I'm still waiting on 2 sets of flies in the mail (not counting JonG's). If it's okay with everyone else, I'll have Justin go ahead and complete the swap. If anyone has a problem with this, please let me know and as soon as I receive Rocky and Frank's, I'll ship out what I have. I don't mind mailing Justin's fly to you individually after I receive his if you're itching to get some of them earlier. I'm exhausted, and I hope that made sense. I'll check in tomorrow night after work to clearify in case of any confusion.

Thanks for your patience,

Jeff

That is very generous of Justin to tie up that many on short notice. I for one do not have a problem waiting, not big deal. In fact I don't think there is any need to overnight them either. I am itching to see the final product, but what's a copuple more weeks.

Thanks Dart for coordinating this huge swap.

C

Justins offer sounds good! I'm in no hurry. It will be cool to see the flies together. Just don't put my fly near Rocky's, my fly pales in comparesion.

vtflyhack

I'm keeping an eye out, Rocky. They're not here as of tonight. Maybe the postman is onto our swap and he decided to keep them for himself! :hyst:

Also, I've talked to Justin through PM and he was planning to pick up hooks tonight and start tying soon. Rock on, Justin!

Holly crap i swear they moved the pony express limit to 400 miles at my PO i will tie up something for justin and get in the mail to you in the morning. Justin your the man

Rocky

To tell every body when you get my fly don't screw with the gut it is older i am by 60 years and very brittle and will break

It's all good. No need for Justin to overnight.

I was hoping to get Rocky's fly in the next couple weeks though. I can't wait to toss it at some steelies. :yahoo:

.... :hyst: .... :j_k: .....Rocky.

In case you're just joining us, it's 10:28 in the PM.... I'm Jeff and this is the Royal Family Swap.

Just got in and I hate to say it Rocky... but there are no flies waiting for me. When did you send them and were they sent regular mail or something else? Hopefully they'll be here tomorrow.

Frank, just to clarify, did your flies go out on Monday or Tuesday?

To everyone else... thanks for your willingness to take on a belated tier to finish up the swap. I was thinking while I was out of town how I'd like to tie up the extra flies for everyone, but my work schedule hasn't allowed me that privilege. If anyone hears from JonG, be sure to shoot me a PM or e-mail... I just want to make sure he's okay. It's not like him to not even log into the board for this length of time.

Jeff