Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
HobbesFly

Spanish Elk Hair Caddis

Thanks tyrite; it's a pretty simple pattern not much different than the Hotwing EHC from Umpqua, but I've found the CDC body floats it a little better and gives it a buggier look.

-Hobbes

Nice looking little Caddis!! I really like the red in the wing.

tyrite

I love the red color in the wing.

Great work thank you for sharing.

Claudia

Tell the truth, you are going to tell your stream side buddies, you are fishing with Spanish Fly, wink wink nod nod.

Cheers Futzer.

Well, if the situation on river makes a Spanish Fly necessary, then why not? I'm not a prude.

The red color is nice way to improve visibility of othervise very dark fly. I sometimes use hot pink, but this looks more natural.

Well, if the situation on river makes a Spanish Fly necessary, then why not? I'm not a prude.

The red color is nice way to improve visibility of othervise very dark fly. I sometimes use hot pink, but this looks more natural.

Thanks for the input! I usually use the Spanish EHC when I'm Spanish nymphing or in low-light situations. I try my best to hide the WingBrite by putting it directly on top of the fly, and it seems to work pretty good. The WingBrite also adds a lot of buoyancy to the fly as a whole.

-Hobbes

Hi Firetiger and Hobbes, I am with you. Just having a little fun with the name. BTW what is Spanish Nymphing?

Cheers, Futzer.

Im also curious what the spanish nymphing technique is.

Its funny how different kinds of nymph fishing get national names - we have Czech, Polish, French, New Zealand styles and now Spanish. Never heard of a national style of dry fly fishing :lol:

:hyst: In the U.S. most of our nymph fishermen are considered "Blind" nymphing, Let me hear from the guides out there, you know what I am saying.

Cheers Futzer.

Hi Firetiger and Hobbes, I am with you. Just having a little fun with the name. BTW what is Spanish Nymphing?

Cheers, Futzer.

I was searching online for the kind of nymphing that I had been introduced to by Riley Cotter, who is on Fly-fishing Team USA. He said that they just called it "Euro-nymphing", but somewhere online it said that it's Spanish nymphing. It's basically a three-fly rig: a dry as an indicator, a heavy nymph as an anchor, and a small attractor as a point fly. I could be wrong, but I think that the correct term for it is Spanish nymphing. Anyone with any other ideas, feel free to post.