Fly Tying
Bend Trout Bum

Removing Fly Line Coating

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on a good solvent to use in order to remove the coating on a section of my fly line without damaging the core??

Now don't worry I'm not going crazy...I'm just playing with some ideas on attaching the line to backing without the bulk of an Albright knot.

Thanks

Jeremy :headbang:

Solvent, bad! take a foot long piece of small braided leader material. The kind you would dye to make Damsel fly bodies, and a right hand leather glove. Wrap the leader around the fly line one full turn, say about 2 " of fly line, holding the other side of the fly line in your left gloved hand, and yank it. It will peel like stripping wire. You can do a little more once you get used to it all. also heat it up a bit with a strong blow drier or heat gun. Not too much.

Cheers Futzer.

blood knot.......nail knot.......OH, and the only time you should ever have your backing out the tip top, is when your usin' a rod with over sized quides anyway............. :hyst: HELLOooooooooo....................................... :j_k: ...........kinna..... :D .............. mark..... ;)

You could probably also use some wiring pliers used to strip electric wire

No steel, you will nick the core braided line, Thanks for the thought though, Brian, Jeff

You could probably also use some wiring pliers used to strip electric wire

No steel, you will nick the core braided line, Thanks for the thought though, Brian, Jeff

Oh not so expierienced in fly fishing but Im learning in that too. What i need is a nice little bluegill pond

hey Brian, for 12 you're a very good tyer, and a great help with your posts, I did not mean to say you did not have a good idea, I have just been there.

Jeff

hey Brian, for 12 you're a very good tyer, and a great help with your posts, I did not mean to say you did not have a good idea, I have just been there.

Jeff

Oh I know what you were saying I didnt think you tought it was a bad idea I was just thinking out loud dont sweat it I just figured your idea was similar to my idea good to learn from this forum big help

Did i hear someone from Joplin, Missery .....ah.....ah Missouri, say he needed a Bluegil Pond? i got a Bluegil Pond............a BBBIIIGGG Bluegil Pond.........it's called Bull Shoals Lake. :yahoo: :hyst: :lol: Come on down to Arkansas and i'll put you on Bluegil the size of your dinner plate, and thick as your angle. My wife's an FFF Certified Casting Instructor, (free lessons) and you can hang out and tye here. http://www.swallowsnest.shutterfly.com Our tyin' room......so "Come ONNN DOWNNNNNNN".............. mark..... ;)

P.S. we won't be there til the middle of next month.......but just let us know in advance........anytime. HUGE three-day fly tyin' show comin' up in March. The Sowbug Roundup. Google the North Arkansas Fly Fishers............click on "Sowbug" for details. And guess what? YOU just became an honorary member of The Swallows Nest Fly Tyers. Later B)

That would be great sorry i didnt reply earlier was at the uncles house here in memphis. We drove through arkansas today and its pretty country and the hills arent very nice when you have to go to the restroom :( and i even tied flies there but the only tool or material i forgot were my scissors and peacock herl. So i used a key to cut my stuff

:D That's a great Thankxgiving story.........one more thing you should be grateful for is your resourcefullness.........and while you may not know it now, (or you may), you created a Bright Moment. Some day i'll turn you on to what that's all about. Meanwhile, "Consult Your Funk and Wagnels." :lol:

Seriously, go to the Encyclopedia of Jazz and look up Rashsaan Roland Kirk.........learn a little somethin' bout "Bright Moments."

"ONE TON.....and it aint gonna get no lighter."

We'll see you in the summer or sooner if your parents get hip and decide to bring you down for the Sowbug in March. You take care, and use your imagination................after all.....you got one. When you visit, i'll send you home with enough Peacock herl to last you a while. :bugeyes: .....You can call us anytime.......PM me for our numbers......... :thumbsup:

Bright Moments, mark..... ;)