Fly Tying
flybug.pa

fly distributers

Does anyone have experience with having , Bean , Umpqua , or the others pick up a fly pattern, from you to sell as in their catalog etc. ?

Umpqua for some reason is a bit of a pain in the ass for what ever reason they never answered any of my emails or calls now I find out that all of there big names are leaving or have left. Im sending flies to Raineys flies this year. I have talked to Montana fly they wanted some of my patterns but I did not like the royalty system. It was based around material. Pacific fly was not interested in the patterns I sent them. Its not easy to get in with any of them they get thousands of flies a year to look at. Oh well its worth the try in my book.

I have experience with Orvis, only. The contract states my patterns cant be anywhere else. I will have close to 20 patterns in the 2009 catalog/website.

Umpqua gets thousands of submittals a year, you really need to sell them, there are two ways to go about it. One tie 50 dozen and send them in 50 boxes, with recipe and suggestions, they might give them to their reps to show off in the field and see if there is a shop market. The other is to get a shop that buys from Umpqua to ask them to tie your bug, they will need to make a minimum order of around 100 dz or more. You will also need to do a step by step with photos, recipe, and two or more dozen samples for Umpqua to use as pattern samples to teach their tyers. It is not easy, but if you have something special, go for it. Oh and don't plan on getting rich on it, the royalties especially for a first pattern are small.

Cheers, Futzer.

I have experience with Orvis, only. The contract states my patterns cant be anywhere else. I will have close to 20 patterns in the 2009 catalog/website.

Im thinking that they are the only ones who do that. I know Helms Clouser Andrews etc all sell flies on there own. I did check with raineys and I am able to promote my flies on my own after/if they pick up any of my patterns.

Im thinking that they are the only ones who do that. I know Helms Clouser Andrews etc all sell flies on there own. I did check with raineys and I am able to promote my flies on my own after/if they pick up any of my patterns.

Thanks guys, its all uphill from here. Umpqua sounds like a real p.i.a. to deal with. I will try Raineys and/ or Orvis .

THanks Again guys. rick

Tie the minimum number required, and include recipes, testimonials with photos, and step by step instructions (I personally use DVD's 'cause the Kenyan and Sri Lankan tiers seem to understand that better than English). Put all the flies in a fly box or two and pack it all up nicely.

Presentation is important. Believe it or not, some tiers have sent their flies wadded up in newspaper with no return contact info. I dont recommend this tactic. :bugeyes:

Good luck.

I thought I had until DEC 31 to get the flies in to rainey's. I just looked its DEC 1 #$@%!!!!! I guess Id better get them out! today!!!

Ditto. I can sell my flies in the shop and promote them myself. I just cant have them in Umpqua, Rainy's, Spirit River, etc..

This is an interesting thread, guys!!! I didn't realize all the hassle that went into trying to get your patterns produced on a major scale. Impressive!!

Think I'll just keep being a veterinarian!

Ray

Get 'em in 5. Good luck.

I got a lill' extension today from them and I think I killed a tree doing the paper work :rolleyes: but they are on the way. We will see. Ya know its a tough gig for any one to get in to. Not only do your flies have to work but they need to catch fisherman. That has never been my intent. I tie what I fish. I fish what I tie cause it works. I do not tie to catch fisherman. I tie to catch fish. So many things are done in the marketing of tackle just to catch the buyers eye. Flies are the same Im sure. Will you cast farther or catch more fish with a Orvis Helios rod? No! (they are very nice) But it is a cool name and the reel seat is awful sexy! So if they decide to carry a fly of mine great if not Ill try again next year with some nymphs...

Ditto. I can sell my flies in the shop and promote them myself. I just cant have them in Umpqua, Rainy's, Spirit River, etc..

That makes sense