Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Frogfish

D90...

So I'm looking into the D90 from Nikon. It seems to be on par with the higher end models, such as the D3, D300 and D700. It does take a step back in histograms from what I have heard. Rockwell gave it a superb review too (except for the video part... but seriously, who buys a DSLR to make videos?).

The one beef I have is with lenses. How do you Nikon guys feel about Nikon lenses. I have heard absolutely amazing things about the L-series of Canon glass? Should I dive into a D90 (who Rockwell praises as equal, or even better to the D300/D3/D700) or go with a EOS 50D from Canon?

How do you Nikon guys feel about Nikon lenses. I have heard absolutely amazing things about the L-series of Canon glass? Should I dive into a D90 (who Rockwell praises as equal, or even better to the D300/D3/D700) or go with a EOS 50D from Canon?

I'm a Nikon user (D300 upgraded from a D70s), I feel pretty good about Nikon glass :)

Being a Nikon user I don't pay much attention to the Canon DSLR lineup, but I am pretty sure both make excellent equipment.

I can't say I am a Ken Rockwell fan, I would also take into account other reviews/opinions/examples when comparing the D90 to a D3...

I have been using Nikon equipment for about four years (D200), very satisfied with lens selection and quality. In the "you get what you pay for" category, Nikon's best glass is excellent - but it is a significant investment.

As far as reviews, you might also consider dpreview.com, luminous-landscape.com, and bythom.com.

dpreview put the two side-by-side and said they about match-up. I guess the question I want to know is, are there Nikon lenses just as sharp and fast as the L-series glass for Canon?

Thanks! I think I'm leaning towards the D90. I have a bunch of older Nikkor lenses from the early 90s, including a pretty neat 15mm f/1.8 lens. I'll probably get the kit 55-105 lens and order the 20-200 IS lens

I am trying to figure out if I should upgrade from the D50 to the D90. Ain't got the jack to go past the D90 but it seems like it has enuf new stuff (sensor, back screen, ISO, etc) to make the D50 seem lacking. A bit. Funny how years ago having a Nikkormat and F2 was all you needed for years and years. Now digital changes out date the cameras faster than I can earn the $$ to by new. I need a sugar daddy.