Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sidesfam

Looking for hook recommendation

I am getting ready to tie up a bunch of flies for a Peacock bass trip on the Amazon, :yahoo: so I need to tie the big stuff. I wanted to use a Mustad 34011 in 6/0 to 8/0 but I have not been able to find that specific style of hook any larger than 3/0.

I am planning to tie up some LARGE top water stuff, Dlbgh. divers as well as Bangers, Gurglers, poppers etc. For some of these I am using the big Rainy's foam heads, diving heads, turbo popping heads etc. for this project as the guys in my group are looking to me to deliver some productive top water flies. These patterns are what I have determined to be a good start.

I need that long shank to put the bite/throat area of the hook more directly in line with the fish's strike zone.

Can anyone cross reference or give me a good call on a conquerable style hook I can look toward? :dunno:

Any and all suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

gamkatsu seems to have a pretty good selection of larger hooks that are specifically designed.... I have only used the smaller trout sized hooks and they are good quality hooks, but a bit tough to find.

Gamakatsu® All-Purpose O'Shaughnessy Hook - Model 130

Up to 10/0 at basspro.com

Totally agree on the Gamakatsu brand, they are super sharp and sturdy. I like the SC15 2H which is tarpon hook. If ordering online know that the bigger the size the fewer hooks in the pack. So you are not surprized. I would be ready to add some 6 inch wire leaders too. or heavy shock tippet like Masons.

Cheers, Futzer.

At times in tackle shops there have been Mustad #34007 ( stainless ) in #5/0 & Mustad #3407 in #7/0. Would guess that they have larger hooks than these for sale for the offshore anglers.