Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

6.0 or 8.0

Personally I believe that one should use the largest thread with which he/she can neatly tie the fly in question. I strive to tie as quickly as possible as I believe that in the long run it makes me a more effective/successful fisherman. One does not not worry much about losing a fly in which he has spent three minutes tying, but if it takes 15 or 20 minutes to tie the fly he will not attempt to cast to the large trout under the overhanging branch for fear of losing that fly.

Larger thread generally makes for faster tying, (fewer wraps and less breakage.) I use 6/0 Uni for most of my trout flies except the very smallest.

Regards,

8/O for me, most my tying is trout flies with a good number of them being 14 or smaller. I also found that my flies started looking better when I switched to the 8/O.

Jim

I use thread form the big 3/0 to 10/0 depending on what I am tying.

With larger steelhead and streamers I don't mind using the larger thread because you can build up a nice head without using half the spool.

I also use allot of different colors again depending on what fly I am tying

OSD.