Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
E. Oregon Midge

Midge swap

So after a few prototypes I have come up with my pattern. Like I said earlier it is a variation of a sno-cone. I'll give the details now, but you'll have to wait to see the fly when you receive it, or until I post it in the pattern database.

Its tied on a size 16 scud hook with a pearl white bead head, the first 60% of the body is red thread, the next 20% is black thread, and then I tie a collar of peacock herl. My variation is that I then have woven 5x mono over the whole body and now the fly simply glows in the water. I think it will be a nice improvement over the standard sno-cones I tie. The weaving is super time consuming but I should be done with them by the end of the week.

I tie something similar, but instead of weaving mono (very time consuming), I make a body of clear vinyl rib (small) over the thread base. I use black, brown, olive thread most often and the colour shows very clearly through the v-rib. I have also seen clear larva lace used the same way. Looking forward to seeing yours!

Clear v-rib over black thread

sc000f8540.jpg

I've done the v-rib before, its my preferred method for tying green rock worms and I agree that it creates the same illusion as the weaved mono in about an eighth of the the time. But for some reason I always take the extra time and steps on swap flies when I know damn well I wouldn't do it for my fishing flies... I guess I have a problem.

Finished mine tonight. Remind me to never weave mono again, it is so hard to get the knots tight and keep a good grip on slippery little mono. I'll try to get a database submission up tomorrow for them.

how is every 1 doing on there flies

Rocky

Hi Rocky.

Ah :wallbash: iv hit rockbottom with this one...

iv been searching after the RIGHT pattern for this swap since i joined in, and i found some that caught my intrest for about 5 or 6 flies and then sudanly i lost fokus wanting to make something else for you guys in the swap...

im pending inbetween tying a sub surface or a dry, and i just Cant make up my mind.... sorry guys... i know i will be done intime for the due date but im struggeling right now, with my female minde :ripped: ...

Bearhug C

Rocky

Hi Rocky.

iv been searching after the RIGHT pattern for this swap since i joined in, and i found some that caught my intrest for about 5 or 6 flies and then sudanly i lost fokus wanting to make something else for you guys in the swap...

im pending inbetween tying a sub surface or a dry, and i just Cant make up my mind.... sorry guys... i know i will be done intime for the due date but im struggeling right now, with my female minde :ripped: ...

Bearhug C

Rocky,

Mine are done I just need to tag, pack and ship.

Rocky

Hi Rocky.

Bearhug C

Typical woman!!!! Why not send in 2 sets of 6

:bugeyes:

C,

I completely understand. Sometimes I would rather tie 12 (midges in this case) patterns that are completely different than 12 that are identical. In fact, often when I get to my 12th fly, the pattern has progressed into something that looks much different than the first.

Rocky

Hi Rocky.

Bearhug C

Typical woman!!!! Why not send in 2 sets of 6

:bugeyes:

Hehe :rolleyes: i know... no will to decide what so ever.

the amount of flies is not were the problem lies. ill explain to you the secret of being a woman...the problem is.. to bee vain...

just finished 12 dry flies and 12 sub surface, figured out that i dont need to decide wish pattern to send, ill just send both of them

:blink: Totally female...

Bearhug C